[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Turbo BASIC for the 800

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (07/28/87)

The Turbo BASIC disk turns out to be a boot disk, i.e. it has a "special"
DOS.SYS on it which contains, presumably, the interpreter.  I assume that
there is no easy way to transmit this as a uuencoded file, because the decoded
file cannot be written back to the disk by DOS in the proper way.  Does
anybody know if there IS a way to do this to save me having to mail all the
disks out?  I.e. a way that does not require me to write a special version
of uudecode and or uuencode?

Any nifty ideas or should I start either writing the program or mailing the
disks?

-John Sangster, jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (07/29/87)

Stop the presses!!!  Several people replied to my plea for help with offers
of programs to encode a boot disk as a file and then reconstruct the boot
disk.

As there have been <MANY> requests, I will try to use that method rather
than physical mail, except in cases where the requestor has no way to
download a file.  If you are in that category, PLEASE REPEAT YOUR REQUEST
WITH MAILING ADDRESS.  I hope that will be a very small number of mailings.

ALL OTHERS please standby, and I will soon post (a) the program(s) to
encode and decode boot disks, and (b) the encoded 800 Turbo BASIC disk.

NOTE:  The excitement is about a version for the 800 (or presumably 400
upgraded to 48K).  Latecomers who have 800XLs or XE machines want the
XL/XE version, which has some advantages.  If you are in that category,
please request the XL/XE version if you lack it.

At present, there is no COMPILER for the 800, or at least I don't have it.
(There is a compiler to go with the XL/XE version.)

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) (07/29/87)

In article <8707282140.AA27106@mitre-bedford.ARPA>, jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA.UUCP writes:

> NOTE:  The excitement is about a version for the 800 (or presumably 400
> upgraded to 48K).  Latecomers who have 800XLs or XE machines want the
> XL/XE version, which has some advantages.  If you are in that category,
> please request the XL/XE version if you lack it.
>
> -John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

Do you or anyone know if the 800 version will work with SpartaDOS (from ICD)
version 2.x or 3.x.  The XL/XE version does not because they both use the
ram under the O.S.

					Owen Alexander