[comp.sys.atari.8bit] More Info on CC8

smk@cbterra.ATT.COM (Stephen Kennedy) (08/06/87)

A few more things about this version of the compiler:

I've noticed a couple of "features" CC8 has inherited from Deep Blue
C.  One is that the "for" statement will not accept null expressions.
Thus,

    for ( ; ; )

needs to be written

    for ( 0; 1; 0 )

Ugh!  Will be fixed next version...

The other is that the compiler also insists that the expression to the
left of a [ be of type pointer or array.  However, the definition of C
states that the expression "a[23]" is the same as "23[a]" (since it is
also equivalent to "*(a + 23)").  This may not get fixed.

A couple of other tidbits:

    o the maximum number of array bound that can be declared is 6 (7
      if "array of ... array of int|char").  More and the compiler
      runs out of space for type descriptors.  Don't tell me 6 isn't
      enough! :-)

    o The compiler understands "left curly", "right curly", and
      "tilde" (meaning whatever graphic or control character they
      happen to map to in ATASCII).

    o add "Constant expression may be used as case label" to the
      future features list.

----
Steve Kennedy			...!cbosgd!smk

swklassen@watmath.waterloo.edu (Steve Klassen) (08/07/87)

In article <3682@cbterra.ATT.COM> smk@cbosgd.UUCP (Steve Kennedy) writes:

>    o The compiler understands "left curly", "right curly", and
>      "tilde" (meaning whatever graphic or control character they
>      happen to map to in ATASCII).

Does anyone happen to know what these characters would be on the Atari?
I would like to know so that I can redefine them on my text editor.
Post any reply to the net or send directly to me.

rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) (08/09/87)

> In article <3682@cbterra.ATT.COM> smk@cbosgd.UUCP (Steve Kennedy) writes:
> >
> >    o The compiler understands "left curly", "right curly", and
> >      "tilde" (meaning whatever graphic or control character they
> >      happen to map to in ATASCII).
> >
> Does anyone happen to know what these characters would be on the Atari?
> I would like to know so that I can redefine them on my text editor.
> Post any reply to the net or send directly to me.

Please post to net if you know.  I also
need to generate tildes and the 800astenery ressed Harw

tpcharron@watmath.UUCP (08/11/87)

>> >    o The compiler understands "left curly", "right curly", and
>> >      "tilde" (meaning whatever graphic or control character they
>> >      happen to map to in ATASCII).
>> >
>> Does anyone happen to know what these characters would be on the Atari?
>> I would like to know so that I can redefine them on my text editor.
>> Post any reply to the net or send directly to me.

The only help I can add here is that the right bracket is the clear screen
character (esc-clear), and the left curly is the spade symbol
(CTRL- [colon]).  I don't know what the tildes are.

--Tim
tpcharron@watmath.waterloo.edu

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (08/11/87)

In article <14209@watmath.waterloo.edu> swklassen@watmath.waterloo.edu (Steve Klassen) writes:
>In article <3682@cbterra.ATT.COM> smk@cbosgd.UUCP (Steve Kennedy) writes:
>>
>>    o The compiler understands "left curly", "right curly", and
>>      "tilde" (meaning whatever graphic or control character they
>>      happen to map to in ATASCII).
>>
>Does anyone happen to know what these characters would be on the Atari?
>I would like to know so that I can redefine them on my text editor.

character          ascii code   atari keystroke    atari graphics character
------------       ----------   ---------------    ------------------------
left curly {           123       ctrl-;             club?
right curly }          125       esc ctrl-<         arrow pointing north-west?
tilde ~                126       esc backspace      triangle pointing left?

I'm not sure my descriptions are useful, to see what they look like use the
keystrokes to generate them.

Fred Sullivan
Department of Mathematical Sciences
State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton, New York  13903
Email: sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu