[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Monitor question

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (08/13/87)

What, if any, recommendations can anyone give me about decent monitors
for 8-bitters?  I'd much prefer color, though I'd like to hear what's
good in mono, too.  Thanks.

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (08/17/87)

In article <870813094639.2.JRD@GRACKLE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:
>What, if any, recommendations can anyone give me about decent monitors
>for 8-bitters?  I'd much prefer color, though I'd like to hear what's
>good in mono, too.  Thanks.

I have used a NEC green-screen for a few years.  I have no objections to it
at all.  It cost me $80 used.  I frequently use it in 80 column mode as a
terminal, and the characters are clear and crisp.  The only problem (and I
think this is a generic problem with monochrome monitors) is that if the
chroma signal is hooked up, so that colors appear as line shading, then the
80 column display is unreadable.  With chroma disconnected, there is no
distinction between different colors.

Note: the real problem here is that the default background color is blue.
If it were black, there would be no problem.

Fred Sullivan
Department of Mathematical Sciences
State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton, New York  13903
Email: sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu