[comp.sys.atari.8bit] More wierd questions...

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (08/20/87)

I've been looking at the little typeahead frob posted by u-jleigh
recently.  It WON'T work as is with Kermit-65, as was previously
alleged, but it can easily be hacked to make it work.  However, there
are two ways to go here:  either load it external to kermit, as the
posted version requires, or build it into kermit, and have kermit turn
it on at init time, and off at exit time (or maybe make it switchable or
something).  However, since it hacks on interrupt vectors, it'd be nice
if the embedded version could detect the presence of the separately
loaded version, and not preempt it.

So, the questions before the house are: 1) Would the listening audience
like to see this feature added to kermit, and 2) is there any good place
in OS ram for storing facts like "The typeahead handler is already
in place, dummy!"?

conklin@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Terry Conklin) (08/21/87)

I for one would not like to see Kermit-65 do any type ahead buffering.
I'm using it exclusively. (Hey, just for the record, this is a GREAT
program!!! Where can I tell FTD to send the wreath of achievement? Or do
you have a local party store that takes Visa & delivers.) SpartaDOS
already does wonderful type-ahead buffering.

More importantly, the Atari OS is a great piece of work. Device
Independence is an important feature that puts it with today's efforts. In
the nature of this work, it is better to make an external load-once type
ahead program that works with everything than to lock you into using
this Kermit to achieve it. Given a good general purpose modified K:, you
could offer typeahead to everything, all the time.

It's this kind of technojunk that keeps my 8bit a competetive tool with
the IBM PC I hang on my wall.

Terry Conklin
...ihnp4!msudoc!conklin
   conklin@cps.msu.edu  (ARPA)
   (517) 372-3131   3/12/24 (Club Lansing)
   (313) 334-8877   3/12    (Club II. Has all known extended memory
			     software (256K XL) online. Please help
			     keep it that way.)

vaughan@canisius.UUCP (Tom Vaughan) (08/23/87)

Would someone please tell me where I can get a good VT100
emulator for my  Atari?  I have just joined this news group
and missed the parent articles about the emulator and Kermit.
It woul be most appreciated!

Tom

--------------                                                 --------------
DEC VAX 11/750; 4.3 BSD UNIX          &                 DEC VAX 8650; VMS 4.5

UUCP   : {cmc12,hao,harpo}!seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!canisius!vaughan
           or
         ...{allegra,decvax,watmath}!sunybcs!canisius!vaughan
CSNET  :  vaughan%canisius@CSNET-relay
US MAIL:  Thomas Vaughan/ Dept. of Comp. Sci./ Canisius College/
          2001 Main St./ Buffalo N.Y. 14208
--------------                                                 --------------

sealy@xyzzy.UUCP (Virgil Sealy) (08/31/87)

In article <1720@canisius.UUCP> vaughan@canisius.UUCP (Tom Vaughan) writes:
>Would someone please tell me where I can get a good VT100
>emulator for my  Atari?  I have just joined this news group
>and missed the parent articles about the emulator and Kermit.
>It woul be most appreciated!
>
>Tom
>--------------                                                 --------------

I too would like to know where I can get copies of a good emulator, and
 the UUDECODE program (in source) for my Atari.  I am also new to the net
and am having some trouble getting started.

Thanks,
Virgil Sealy

rshuford@well.UUCP (09/13/87)

Sender:hplabs!well!rshuford

Perhaps someone on the network knows whether, and if so how, one can
still obtain programs from the Atari Software Program Exchange.
In that collection used to be a program called Chameleon, which I'm
told could do a fair VT52 emulation.

.....Richard S. Shuford
     hplabs!well!rshuford
     BIX: richard
(Comments back to me by mail, please.)

striepe@muscat.UUCP (Harald Striepe) (09/14/87)

In article <3940@well.UUCP> rshuford@well.UUCP (Richard S. Shuford) writes:

>Perhaps someone on the network knows whether, and if so how, one can
>still obtain programs from the Atari Software Program Exchange.
>In that collection used to be a program called Chameleon, which I'm
>told could do a fair VT52 emulation.
>
>.....Richard S. Shuford
>     hplabs!well!rshuford
>     BIX: richard
APEX is dead.  ANTIC  has taken over a major portion of their catalog,  but
I remember that in their catalog in the middle of their magazine it was
noted that the CHAMELEON stock was getting low.

John Dunning's K65 posted on this net contains the best VT100 emulator so
far, and also includes VT52 emulation.
You have a choice of scrolling 40 columns, or 80 columns in GR.8 mode using
fairly legible 4 bit cells.

--
Harald Striepe
Digital Equipment Corp., SPG Mktg, Sunnyvale, CA