[comp.sys.atari.8bit] reasons for upgrade!

DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET.UUCP (09/25/87)

Did someone on the net ask for reasons on why an upgrade for the atari 6502
should be attempted.

Reasons for an upgrade to a 65816:

Upgrades in general tend to focus attention to computers, thus the
mega STs were born.  A more powerful processor in our venerable 8-bits
would draw great attention from those who put their atari's on the shelf
So they could use/(play games on) c-64'S).

The apple came out with the apple IIgs which has the 65816 in it. This
addition of the horsepower attracted new interest to venerable 8-bit line.
Chances are it will do the same for ATARI.  Since more atari xe/xl
machines exist than IIgs mabye some of the companys that wrote software
for the IIgs might try to recover there loses by writing software for
a machine which a potentially larger user base. Porting Apple software
to the atari shouldn't be to hard, tho the IIGs call would have to be
emulated.

  If atari designed such an upgrade
  they would not have to much trouble
  get 65816 software developers? Some
  one has mentioned that Mac65(which
  is no longer in production) can
  support the extra 6502 commands this
  chips supports.

The main reason i would want a 65816 in my machine would be to embarrass
TRAMIAL.  He has bumbled with a great machine. The handling of the 8-bit as
compared for the ST has been unexcusable. Atari should realize by now that the
whole 1.5 million active atari 8-bit users are not going to upgrade to the ST.
When IBM is backing a new comparable machine in the same price range.

Reasons for an upgrade in speed for the
6502, for the atari Xe/Xl machines:

1 Floating Point operations.
  Currently the 8-bit rom floating
  code is slow.
>>A faster 6502 running around 3.58Mhz
  could crank out these calculations
  twice as fast.

2 I/O rates.

>>Since the PBI(parallel bus interface)
  is driven directly by the cpu, MIO's
  and other harddrive interfaces could
  be accessed at standard PC speeds.

3 Integer calculations and Data jugling
  operations.

>>This is the reason people buys the new
  16/32 machines. Everyone wants their
  information delivered at a reasonable
  speed.  Remember for Humans the less
  time something requires the more it
  seems to be used.

4 The windowing/icon user interface
  would be workable in the graphics 8
  mode for machines with more than
  64K.

The botton line is Any upgrade to the moderately useful XE/XLs line would be
appriciated.

BUT ANY UPGRADES THAT WOULD NOT REACH
A MAJORITY OF THE 8-BIT ATARI COMMUNITY
WOULD NOT TEMPT THE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS
TO WRITE FOR OUR MACHINES.
MY 8-bit will still be used whether
or not i buy a new computer. Most
of the info-atari8 readers feel the
same way.

William M Buford
(Novice Hardware Hacker)
(An Action! Programmer!)

Dflint02@ulkyvx.bitnet

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (09/27/87)

In article <8709242218.AA05629@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET writes:
>Did someone on the net ask for reasons on why an upgrade for the atari 6502
>should be attempted.
>

>The main reason i would want a 65816 in my machine would be to embarrass
>TRAMIAL.  He has bumbled with a great machine. The handling of the 8-bit as
>compared for the ST has been unexcusable. Atari should realize by now that the
>whole 1.5 million active atari 8-bit users are not going to upgrade to the ST.
>When IBM is backing a new comparable machine in the same price range.
>
>The botton line is Any upgrade to the moderately useful XE/XLs line would be
>appriciated.
>
>William M Buford

The 16/32 bit upgrade to the Atari 800 line has been on the dealers shelves
sinse September 1985 !!  The problem that most Atari 800 owners have is
one of idenity -- they fail to see what has been placed in front of their
faces.

I of course am talking about the Amiga 1000.  I bought my Atari 800 for
its great graphics, sound, and FRIENDLY user interface, BTW its SN is
00232 !  The Amiga 1000 IS the NEXT generation Atari 800 !  The chief
H/W architect for the Atari 2600, Atari 800 and the Amiga 1000 is Jay
Miner !  The Amiga's great MULTITASKING OS is just a super bonus to an
already super computer.  BTW my Amiga's SN is D605 - its a preproduction
box !

BTW I have worked for Atari (pre JT), Commodore (during the JT reign), and
Amiga (1984-5).  Am I jaded ?  YES I will not purchase a JT product ever
again !

I am no longer connected with either Atari or Commodore except that I
own their products.

	Amiga 1000	Simply the best computer for 3X the price
	Atari 800	Best 8 bit computer built.
	Atari 400	Expanded to 48K.  Same as above.
	C64		Used only to play games on.  OS sucks cow sn@t.
	VIC20		Same as the C64.
	Atari 2600	Great little game machine.

Hans

These comments are mine, mine, mine... however all may share them.