[comp.sys.atari.8bit] SX212 info sought

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (10/06/87)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all. Rumour has it in these parts that the SX212 will
be on stores shelves very soon (if it isn't already!). A couple
questions maybe someone out there can answer for me that none
of my friends seems to know for sure...

1) Can you or can you not connect the SX212 directly to the 8-bit
   without an interface?
2) About connecting to the 8-bit, does it come packaged with
   the necessary cable and term program (I'd heard something
   about a new version of Express?), or do you have to hunt
   them down seperately?
3) Perhaps most importantly to me, since the main reason I would
   like to get the SX212 is for use with the schools' Unix system
   (300 baud can be painful when you want to do something other than
   read the newsgroups  :-) ), I would like to know *for sure* if
   Chameleon will work with it or not.

As always, any info is greatly appreciated.

		-Ray Wilmott

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (10/14/87)

In article <15362@topaz.rutgers.edu>, wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:
> Hello all. Rumour has it in these parts that the SX212 will
> be on stores shelves very soon (if it isn't already!).
Yes, the modem is already being sold (at least at dealers here in Northern
California).

> 1) Can you or can you not connect the SX212 directly to the 8-bit
>    without an interface?
Yes.  The SX212 has an Atari SIO connector on its rear panel.  It will work
with an R-verter type handler that is available on Compuserve.

> 2) About connecting to the 8-bit, does it come packaged with
>    the necessary cable and term program (I'd heard something
>    about a new version of Express?), or do you have to hunt
>    them down seperately?
No.  SX-Express (based on the older 850-Express) will be offered separately.
An SIO cable will be packaged with that program.  SX-Express is currently in
software test.

> 3) ...I would like to know *for sure* if Chameleon will work with it or not.
At the moment, the only way you could be *sure* that it will work with
Chameleon would be to use it connected to an 850 the way people have been
using Hayes compatible modems for years.

Jim Tittsler, Atari Corp.   {ames, sun, imagen, pyramid}!atari!jwt