[comp.sys.atari.8bit] FROST and Turbo BASIC questions...

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA.UUCP (10/30/87)

Does anybody know if the Turbo BASIC compiler and runtime system work

    (a) on an 800 or upgraded 400?

    (b) on an XL/XE under SpartaDOS or DOS-XL or any other
	DOS that uses portions of the RAM under ROM?

I am wondering whether to bother sending out the compiler and runtime
system to people who request FROST BASIC.  In general I have not, but somebody
ought to try out the above combinations.

-John Sangster, jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) (11/03/87)

In article <8710292249.AA12047@mitre-bedford.ARPA>, jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
> Does anybody know if the Turbo BASIC compiler and runtime system work
>
>     (a) on an 800 or upgraded 400?

FROST BASIC will work on a 800 or 400 as well as an XL/XE computer.

Turbo BASIC will only work on an XL/XE and gives about 12K more RAM.

>     (b) on an XL/XE under SpartaDOS or DOS-XL or any other
> 	DOS that uses portions of the RAM under ROM?

Turbo BASIC will not work with any DOS that uses the RAM under the
ROM.

FROST BASIC will only work with the DOS that is supplied on it's disk.
The compiler and DOS are very closely tied (I tried unsuccessfully to
de-couple them), if fact they are appended together as one binary file,
and the compiler uses hard coded vectors to interface with the DOS.

Owen Alexander          | For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of
AT&T Communications     | God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
UUCP: ihnp4!houxl!oaa   |                              - Romans 6:23 -

P7O@PSUVMA.BITNET (PATRICK) (11/04/87)

As far as I know,Turbo Basic wont work very well with Dos Xl,
I dint try it will Sparta Dos,I think My Dos 4.3B (With Ramdisk)
will work,for the 800XL at least!!!