[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #100

Cothrell@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (11/17/87)

ICD puts out their MIO adapter...which has what I am told is a SCSI port
on it for HD controllers...Adaptec 4000 and 4070A...which allow you to
use a "standard IBM-type" Hard drive (or RLL Drive depending on
controller).  What I want to know is:  if the port on the MIO is truly
Scuzzy?  and if so, could you then just plug in a hard drive with an
embedded SCSI controller?

answers (speculation too) requested...and dont send me ICD's phone
number, I tried them, they were as friendly as a turtle, and about as
competent...or maybe I got them on a rough day!?

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (11/17/87)

> ICD puts out their MIO adapter...which has what I am told is a SCSI port
> on it for HD controllers...Adaptec 4000 and 4070A...which allow you to
> use a "standard IBM-type" Hard drive (or RLL Drive depending on
> controller).  What I want to know is:  if the port on the MIO is truly
> Scuzzy?  and if so, could you then just plug in a hard drive with an
> embedded SCSI controller?
>
> answers (speculation too) requested...and dont send me ICD's phone
> number, I tried them, they were as friendly as a turtle, and about as
> competent...or maybe I got them on a rough day!?
You got them on a rough day.  Usually, they're very helpful.

I do not own an MIO, but know many BBS SysOps who do.  All of them are
very satisfied with its performance as a hard drive interface.  As far
as I understand, the MIO has a "real" SCSI port on it.

Let it be known, however, that software problems prevent usage of the
MIO as an effective printer buffer/interface.  IE, don't buy this unit
for your printer, buy it for you hard drive.
--
    \ Yow! I finally got  \ Jersey   \ GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN      \    |||
     \ around to changing  \ Atari    \ The JACG BBS: (201)298-0161   \  / | \
 |||  \ my .signature file! \ Computer \ NetLand: knutsen@rutgers.edu  \
/ | \  \   --Mark Knutsen    \ Group    \ or: {...}!rutgers.edu!knutsen \

striepe@muscat.UUCP (Harald Striepe) (11/18/87)

In article <871117030010.624828@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> Cothrell@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>ICD puts out their MIO adapter...which has what I am told is a SCSI port
>on it for HD controllers...Adaptec 4000 and 4070A...which allow you to
>use a "standard IBM-type" Hard drive (or RLL Drive depending on
>controller).  What I want to know is:  if the port on the MIO is truly
>Scuzzy?  and if so, could you then just plug in a hard drive with an
>embedded SCSI controller?
>
>answers (speculation too) requested...and dont send me ICD's phone
>number, I tried them, they were as friendly as a turtle, and about as
>competent...or maybe I got them on a rough day!?
The MIO comes in 256K and 1 meg versions. It attaches to the parallel port
on XL's and 130XE's (the latter require an adapter).  The driver software is
in ROM in the new parallel device space.  A configuration program is
selected during boot or reset by pressing the select button simultaneously.
The MIO features a parallel, serial, and SCSI/SASI port.  Serial and
parallel port can be configured for printers, optionally using the available
RAM as spoolers.  Any remaining RAM can be configured as RAM disk (with
drivers in software). On repartitioning the RAM the system will initialize
the pseudo disks in SpartaDOS format.  If the serial port is not used,  it
can function as a regular R: device.  Current ROMS seems to have a bug
causing printed output to be lost during spooling while concurrent serial IO
is active.  An additional RGB and NTSC port are awaiting an 80 column board
currently on hold (heat problems).  Since the RAM has its own refresh and
powers supply,  it can be non-volatile (while the AC power lasts).  All
drive assignments (serial, RAM, and HD partitions) are interchangable
through the menu (e.g. you can make your old 810 set to be #1 appear as #8).

The SCSI appears to be fairly standard, it definitely supports 4000A and
4070,  and should have no problems with SCSI drives like Seagate (I have
heard of people using it).  I have used XEBEC 1410A and am now using Adaptec
with no problems.

The MIO is the best things that ever happened to the 130XE (even if it does
have a few bugs).  However,  you should use a DOS that can handle the larger
drives.  I have used all,  and find SpartaDOS to be the best by far.  ICD's
Flashback backup utiltity is a must (no redundant disk structures,  you can
clobber your disk on an unprotected system without too much oif a problem).
Hardback fails on large drives, and does not preserve creation dates
(SpartaDOS has time and date stamping).  I am waiting for a field test copy
of ADOS...

The winchesterss are almost as fast as the ramdisk...
--
Harald Striepe
Digital Equipment Corp., SPG Mktg, Sunnyvale, CA