[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Using Kermit65 with either the XM301 or 1030, HELP!

atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (11/12/87)

[]
Help!

I recently downloaded the Kermit65 and Kermit65NR.  Can anyone tell me how, or
if it is possible to use these programs with either the Atari XM301 or 1030
modems?  I have both the XM301 and the 1030, but I would prefer to use
Kermit with my XM301 if possible.  If anyone has been able to do this (with
either the XM or 1030), or knows how it can be done, please reply either in
E-mail or post the reply.

I think it may be as simple as getting the right handler, but which one is the
right one?  And where can I get it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give this peasant XM301/1030 user.

------------------------------------------------------ Jeff Scott -------------
{ihpn4|seismo}!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!atariman
atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (11/17/87)

In article <1485@bsu-cs.UUCP> atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (Jeff Scott) writes:
>[]
>Help!
>
>I recently downloaded the Kermit65 and Kermit65NR.  Can anyone tell me how, or
>if it is possible to use these programs with either the Atari XM301 or 1030
>modems?  I have both the XM301 and the 1030, but I would prefer to use
>Kermit with my XM301 if possible.  If anyone has been able to do this (with
>either the XM or 1030), or knows how it can be done, please reply either in
>E-mail or post the reply.
>I think it may be as simple as getting the right handler, but which one is the
>right one?  And where can I get it?

The XM301 and the 1030 have have a T: handler built in.
Kermit (and almost all other terminal programs) use the 850 R:
handler.

Well, that answers what handler you need, as to where to get it.
Beats me, try you local users group or a local BBS. I have seen
it available but I never downloaded it because I own an MPP

				  Tom

pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) (11/18/87)

In article <3518@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
-> In article <1485@bsu-cs.UUCP> atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (Jeff Scott) writes:
-> >[]
-> > [stuff deleted]
->
-> The XM301 and the 1030 have have a T: handler built in.
-> Kermit (and almost all other terminal programs) use the 850 R:
-> handler.
->
No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the
modem PROGRAM you are using.  Of course, some modem programs have the
handler already incorporated (Express! is a good example).  Chameleon gives
you the choice of handlers; you pick from a menu of supported modems and
Chameleon loads up the appropriate handler.

The only terminal programs that use the R: handler are the ones written for
modems connected to a serial interface (R: = RS232??).

-------
Paul Kopp
Gould Inc., Computer Systems Division
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
** The opinions expressed are my own. **

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (11/19/87)

In article <723@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:
>No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
>modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the
>modem PROGRAM you are using.

You're right, but the 1030 has the T: handler built in. Its part of the
built term program of the 1030. Do you have to load anything to use the
1030? I thought you just had to turn it on and away you go...

Like I said, I an MPP user.
				    Tom

atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <3561@uwmcsd1.UUCP> john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
>In article <723@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:
>>No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
>>modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the
>>modem PROGRAM you are using.

The T: handler is built in to the 1030, and some terminal programs do load the
handler from the modem (such as older versions of 1030 Express!).  You hear
basically the same whine from the 1030 when the T: handler is being loaded as
when the R: handler is being loaded from the 850.  The T: handler (or any
other handler for that matter) is not built into the XM301 though.

>You're right, but the 1030 has the T: handler built in. Its part of the
>built term program of the 1030. Do you have to load anything to use the
>1030? I thought you just had to turn it on and away you go...
>				    Tom

To use the built in terminal software (ModemLink(?)), all you have to do is
boot the computer without any other devices on (except for the printer, if you
use it with Modemlink) and without BASIC.  The built in software on the 1030
is not very good (to say the least).  No file transfer what so ever.  Just,
basically, a dumb terminal.

One thing I have to say in its (Modemlink) defense, it is good if you just want
something to log-on quickly.

mark@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Storin) (11/20/87)

In article <723@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:
>No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
>modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the
>modem PROGRAM you are using.
>-------

	Not so, the 1030 modem does have the T: handler in ROM in the modem
along with a built in terminal program.  I don't believe that the XM301 has
this.  I believe there was some code floating around that would pull the
handler out of the 1030.

--
Mark A. Storin					|  These opinions are my own,
Lake Systems, Milw., WI				|  you can't have them!

weaver@tut.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <723@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:
>In article <3518@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) writes:
>-> In article <1485@bsu-cs.UUCP> atariman@bsu-cs.UUCP (Jeff Scott) writes:
>-> The XM301 and the 1030 have have a T: handler built in.
>-> Kermit (and almost all other terminal programs) use the 850 R:
>-> handler.
>->
>No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
>modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the

	Sorry, wrong again.  The T: handler _is_ actually loaded from the
ROMs of both the XM301 and the 1030.  In fact, this is why you can use the
1030 with _no_ software of any type -- it has its very own terminal emulator
built in.  If you have this as your only device on the SIO, the OS will
automatically dump you into the most brain dead terminal program known to man.

	A program has to call this routine, however (like 1030 Express!)
That is the high-speed squeal you hear when booting Express--it is the
sound of data coming over the SIO (you know the annoying beeping sound that
you get when data is read/wrote from disk or tape?)  Same thing.

--
Andrew Weaver, The Ohio State University College of Business
UUCP: ...!cbosgd!cis.ohio-state.edu!weaver    | "This ain'ta my planet,

sumrall@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Kenneth Sumrall) (11/20/87)

>No, no, no!!!  The T: handler in NOT built into the XM301 OR the 1030
>modems.  The T: handler is usually appended (or pre-pended) to the
>modem PROGRAM you are using.  Of course, some modem programs have the
>handler already incorporated (Express! is a good example).  Chameleon gives
>you the choice of handlers; you pick from a menu of supported modems and
>Chameleon loads up the appropriate handler.
>
>The only terminal programs that use the R: handler are the ones written for
>modems connected to a serial interface (R: = RS232??).

Ok.  Now for some facts.  The XM301 and 1030 modems do indeed have a
built in T: handler.  In fact, it is described in some great detail in
Antic magazine.  I'm not sure what issue it is in, but the article is
written by the same guy who wrote the Hometerm program.

Sending commands to the T: device driver is much different than sending
commands to the R: device driver.  The R: driver responds to XIO
commands from basic, or their equivilent CIO calls from assembly.  The
T: handler is accessed by setting memory location 7 to non-zero, and then
sending ESC sequences.  Memory location 7 is then set to zero, and the
ESC sequences are just sent through to the modem.

There are many device drivers for the 1030 and XM301 modems that act
like T: and R: drivers, however, and they are often pre-pended to
terminal programs to supply the required device driver.  I have seen a T:
handler that uses XIO calls instead of using ESC sequences for control
of the modem.  I have also seen an R: driver for the 1030 and XM301 that
implement the stantard XIO calls of the 850 R: driver.  This driver also
implements additional XIO calls to support dialing, going on and off
line, and other various modem functions.  This is the device driver that
I am using to run the Omnicom terminal program posted to the net a while
ago.

Now, to use Kermit 65 with the 1030 or XM301, one of two things must be
done.  The first is to find an R: driver for the 1030 and XM301 that
emulates the Hayes command set.  I have heard of a rumor that such a
driver exists, but I have never seen it.  If someone has one, please
post it to the net, as the rest of us would appreciate it.  The second
possibility is to teach Kermit 65 how to dial the 1030 and XM301 modems
if present.  This is not that hard to do, provided source code is
available.  I will send John R. Dunning info on how to do this as soon
as I am able to write it all down legibly.  Maybe he will release a 3rd
version of Kermit 65 then. :-)

Well, I have gone on long enough, and I haven't even mentioned the MPP
modem and the similiar problems that it has.  I will have an MPP to play
with during Christmas break, and if I find anything interesting, I will
post it to the net.  Till then.

Kenneth Sumrall
ARPA:     sumrall@msudoc.egr.msu.edu
UUCP:     ihnp4!msudoc!sumrall

P.S.  I would appreciate any and all replies concerning the above, but
no flames please, my flame proof suit is at the cleaners. :-)