[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Percom Disk Drive - Drawings?

Fleysher.wbst@XEROX.COM (Dan Fleysher) (12/22/87)

My Percom RFD-40 (SSDD) disk drive has developed a thermal problem - the drive
won't spin after it has been powered up for more than a short time.  ("Short
time" used to be several minutes; now it's down to several seconds.)

Dare I hope that it's something simple like a power supply regulator?  Does
anyone have schematic drawings and/or a service manual?

	Dan

-----------------------------------

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (12/23/87)

In article <871222-062004-6807@Xerox>, Fleysher.wbst@XEROX.COM (Dan Fleysher) writes:

| My Percom RFD-40 (SSDD) disk drive has developed a thermal problem - the drive
| won't spin after it has been powered up for more than a short time.  ("Short
| time" used to be several minutes; now it's down to several seconds.)
|
| Dare I hope that it's something simple like a power supply regulator?  Does
| anyone have schematic drawings and/or a service manual?

The following company provides service and repair parts for Percom drives.
You can call and ask if they also sell service manuals.

		Computer Serviceland
		14506-B Lee Rd.
		Chantilly, VA 22021
		(703)-631-4949

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) (12/25/87)

In article <2408@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
> In article <871222-062004-6807@Xerox>, Fleysher.wbst@XEROX.COM (Dan Fleysher) writes:
> |
> | My Percom RFD-40 (SSDD) disk drive has developed a thermal problem - the drive
> | won't spin after it has been powered up for more than a short time.  ("Short
> | time" used to be several minutes; now it's down to several seconds.)

I do have a set of drawings but they are pretty shabby and really won't
photostat to be really useful.  The best way to fix that problem is to
do the following:

1) Replace the regulators.

2) Solder them in.  Do not use the sockets.  The sockets have caused
   90% of all failures on the RFD-40.

3) Check the rectifiers and replace if necessary.

If you do all of the above It should work for another 5 years or
more without trouble.

As a note:
	The RFD-40 has a jumper on the board that will allow the
Atari to see it as drives 5-8 instead of 1-4.   Kinda neat if you
want more online storage.

If all of the above fails then email me your name and address
and i can either exchange your old controller or repair your
old one.

Rich Andrews

...killer!jolnet!rich