[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Disk drives

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/22/87)

In article <2059@cup.portal.com>, Tom_Tom_McComb@cup.portal.com writes:
> The XF551 is onsale in Canada, Poland and Argentina.  Convienent, No?
> ADOS was finished by OSS ages ago. Atari is still awaiting FCC approval for US
> The current guestimate is Jan-Feb '88. But don't go and hold your breath.
> Tom McComb
> Sysop @orner Pub BBS
> 718-948-9146

Whoah!

The XF551 has hit the USA also, within the last couple of weeks.  I know
that Federated stores have them, and some others locally here.

Also, ADOS was recently finished as far as beta testing was concerned.  Not
ages ago, weeks ago.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (12/22/87)

    Date: 18 Dec 87 00:32:49 GMT
    From: hans@umd5.umd.edu  (Hans Breitenlohner)

    In article <19871217223805.9.JRD@GRACKLE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
     jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:
    >However, as near as I can tell, the much-vaunted XF551 (sp?) still
    >hasn't been released,

    I was under the impression the new drive was out, ADOS to be released later.
    Lots of people are advertising it, among them CMO and Harmony Computers.
    Are you saying that all that is vaporware?

Oops!  I just checked the latest batch of ads, and you're right, it's
apparently available from several places.  Sorry if I caused any
confusion.

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (12/23/87)

In article <19871221205015.8.JRD@GRACKLE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>, jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:

> Oops!  I just checked the latest batch of ads, and you're right, it's
> apparently available from several places.  Sorry if I caused any
> confusion.

Remember that companies that advertise in magazines have to have their
proofs into the publisher approximately 3 months before publication date.
Three months ago (or more), most dealers thought they would have XF551's
before Christmas.

Moral:  Just because you see it in an ad, don't assume that that means
        they actually have them.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

PS. John, I send you private Email regarding your software reviews.  If
    you don't get it, try writing to me.

Tom_Tom_McComb@cup.portal.com (12/24/87)

Hi there Neil!
My info on the XF551 was from Bill Wilkenson. I just recieved confirmation that
XF551s have shown up in a real dealer today (12/23).
How about SX Express!, Keith Ledbetter has stated that he turned it over to Ata
Tom

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (12/25/87)

In article <913@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> In article <2059@cup.portal.com>, Tom_Tom_McComb@cup.portal.com writes:
> > The XF551 is onsale in Canada, Poland and Argentina.  Convienent, No?
> > ADOS was finished by OSS ages ago. Atari is still awaiting FCC approval for US
> > The current guestimate is Jan-Feb '88. But don't go and hold your breath.
>
> Whoah!
>
> The XF551 has hit the USA also, within the last couple of weeks.  I know
> that Federated stores have them, and some others locally here.

For the benefit of those of you who do not have an account on DELPHI, I saw
a message there from Matt Ratcliff about the XF551:  His local dealer (in
St. Louis Mo. area) just got his first shipment.  Many people have "heard"
that Atari wasn't going to ship '551s until late January, but Atari has
proven them wrong.  What a nice Christmas present for us 8-bit Atari "fans!"

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

                     Meowy Chrismouse and Happy New Litter
                 ^^ /
                =''=
                 --
                (  )~
                 oo

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) (12/28/87)

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) writes :
>... Matt Ratcliff about the XF551:  His local dealer (in
> St. Louis Mo. area) just got his first shipment.
> Many people have "heard" that Atari wasn't going to ship
> '551s until late January, but Atari has proven them wrong.

What about ADOS? Here in Canada we have been told that we might not
expect it until March or April. HAs anyone seen the elusive ADOS from
OSS? Does any other DD Dos work with it? DOS XL or SpartaDOS or MyDOS?

 George Seto

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless unless   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             otherwise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) (12/28/87)

In article <256@dalcsug.UUCP>, euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (George Seto) writes:
> >... Matt Ratcliff about the XF551:
> What about ADOS?

I would suspect that ICD will have SPARTA drivers ready before ADOS.  And
SPARTA is great anyway.

Anyone know for sure yet?  I have not called in to ICD recently.

Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!ihnp4!ihcae!daryl
AT&T					CIS:	72717,65
Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill		AT&T	312-979-3603

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/29/87)

In article <913@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

> Also, ADOS was recently finished as far as beta testing was concerned.  Not
> ages ago, weeks ago.

Saw Bill Wilkinson today.  Seems that ADOS had a small problem, and he's
fixing it.  So, it's back to beta for a bit.

--

In article <2134@cup.portal.com>, Tom_Tom_McComb@cup.portal.com writes:

> How about SX Express!, Keith Ledbetter has stated that he turned it over
> to Atari.

It seems to be done, and is now being documented.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (12/29/87)

Speaking of the XF551, can anyone at Atari tell me why they didn't ship
SpartaDOS with the XF551? It's _easily_ the best thing out for an 8 bit,
(I resist temptation here to list the massive numbers of Sparta
features I have seen) And already supports hard drives (a growing
commonality, at least around here.) Did anyone contact ICD? Or wouldn't
ICD go for it, or what?

Maybe it's just that old wishful thinking. But it's not all just
wishful! I have a new 256K+ based typsetting program on my detroit
board! And am beta-testing a multitasking Atari OS (yes. Stop. Back up 8
words. "multitasking.") Extended memory support is HERE!

Terry Conklin
ihnp4!msudoc!conklin
conklin@cps.msu.edu
Club II Detroit (313) 334-8877   (a tad large for net, I think.)

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (12/31/87)

What will Ados look like? Will it be a command-driven dos like DOS XL or
Spartados (perhaps with a menu option), or will it be a menu dos like most
of the others? How will it compare in functionality to DOS 2.0/5? Will it
be able to read/write 2.0/2.5 disks (I assume YES, but after thinking about
DOS 3.0.....)

John

    John DiMarco           Hard work never killed a man ...
jdd@csri.toronto.edu          ... but it sure has scared lots of them!
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!utcsri!jdd      jdd@utcsri.UUCP