[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Fix to last posting about drives

aj19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Johnson, II) (12/30/87)

Hello,

I am just about clueless about connecting my Atari 600xl to the hosts at my
school.  I don't even know if it is possible.  All I have is the keyboard.  I
don't have any pheripheral attachments.  Can anyone tell if I would be able
to use the thing as a sort of dummy terminal, just to log in to the host and
enter info in my school accounts.  I don't have alot of money to buy a new
computer and I figured that this may be a possibility.

	If it is possible can you also tell me what other equipment I would
need and where to get it.  All advice and help will be appreciated.

					Thanks in Advance

andrew@dasys1.UUCP (Andrew Huie) (01/03/88)

In article <wVq-lpy00XoHzKA0DX@andrew.cmu.edu>, aj19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony Johnson, II) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am just about clueless about connecting my Atari 600xl to the hosts at my
> school.  I don't even know if it is possible.  All I have is the keyboard.  I
> don't have any pheripheral attachments.  Can anyone tell if I would be able
> to use the thing as a sort of dummy terminal, just to log in to the host and
> enter info in my school accounts.  I don't have alot of money to buy a new
> computer and I figured that this may be a possibility.
>
> 	If it is possible can you also tell me what other equipment I would
> need and where to get it.  All advice and help will be appreciated.
>
> 					Thanks in Advance

That's tough. If you want to log in to your favorite mini/mainframe, you are
going to have to buy a modem, and possibly software to run that modem. If you
want to use one of those Hayes-compatibles, you will also need an RS232 inter-
face (P:R: connection or the Atari 850) and cable. From there use the school's
dial-in numbers. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do unless you are a
hardware superguru. The cheapest setup is to buy a second-hand 1030 modem
(it runs at 300 baud, it isn't produced anymore) with its built-in terminal
software (extremely primitive, and it doesn't emulate anything useful). You'll
have to hunt around for those. A more sophisticated setup is

1) Get the Atari SX212 300/1200 modem w/ terminal software. Check with
Atari dealers or mail-order companies. May need a disk drive to run the soft-
ware.

2) Get a Hayes or Hayes compatible modem from almost any computer dealer (prices will vary) that can go 1200 or 2400 baud. You will need an RS232 interface
and cable (available from mail-order houses or Atari dealers) and software
(850 Express (Shareware), Amodem 7.x (???), or Kermit-65 (PD, posted here
before, but I missed it 8-(). Kermit-65 is the only one of the 3 with decent
terminal emulation, but the others have good features also. You will also
need a drive here and this setup can cost bet. $300-$400. But at least if
you switch computers, you can still use the modem.

Couple of notes: If your system has not been expanded to at least 48K ram
your only option may be the 1030. In that case, it may be better to just
start again with a new computer system. Also, all these options assume
that you are able to connect the modem to a standard phone jack in some
way.  They cannot communicate through the phone receiver (like the old
acoustic modems).