[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Autorun a BASIC program

pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) (12/23/87)

I'm looking for some kind of utility that will create an AUTORUN.SYS
file to boot a BASIC program of my choice (only one program, no
menus....I want to be able to specify the filename to boot when the
autorun file is created).  I have tried to use a sector editor to
modify the filename in an existing autorun file.  The problem with that
was (it seems) the program placed a fixed number of bytes into BASIC's
line buffer....and my filename was shorter then the original (I haven't
tried to disassemble the 2 sector autorun file and see what the problem
really was).

Anyway......does anyone out there have a handy little utility they
wrote that they would like to share??  If not, I guess I have a
software project to work on.  Post or mail....I'm not picky!

-------
Paul Kopp                                   The opinions (if any) expressed
Gould Inc., Computer Systems Division       are my own.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Mail paths?, oh yea mail paths:   ...!{sun,uunet,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!pkopp
                                  ...!{ihnp4!codas,allegra}!novavax!gould!pkopp

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (12/29/87)

Paul Kopp's desire to autorun a BASIC program might be easiest to satisfy by
using Turbo BASIC or FrOst BASIC.  A compiled program can be autorun by
the method described in the Turbo BASIC documentation.  I think you name the
runtime system AUTORUN.SYS and name the compiled BASIC program AUTORUN.CTB
or something.

Other than that, there have from time to time been articles in the various
Atari magazines telling how to do this with standard Atari BASIC, including
type-in programs etc.  I'll see if I can find a reference.

-John Sangster, jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (12/29/87)

In article <8712282252.AA00986@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>Paul Kopp's desire to autorun a BASIC program might be easiest to satisfy by
>using Turbo BASIC or FrOst BASIC.

	Lots of edit

>-John Sangster, jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

	You might want to try and scare up a copy of Smart Dos. It used to be
packaged with the Rana Drives. There were a coupla versions, 6.1D, 8.1D. A few
others also.

	Anyway, with the DOS they supplied a program to set up a special
autorun file that will run a basic program. Really works slick. I'm not sure
if it will (the auto made program) work with DOS 2.0 or 2.5, but it would
seem reasonable that it would. Just have to rename the filename.AR1 to
reflect the Atari Autorun syntax.

	If someone can let me know if this program is able to be passed
along, I would be more than happy to post it.

-rich
UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are my own, and not nessasarily
always correct!

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) (12/30/87)

       If you want to autorun a BASIC program then the easiest thing to do is
  to get a copy of "Compute!'s Third Book of Atari".  In it there is a program
  called Automate which allows you to type in BASIC commands and then it will
  write the ml code for it.  It is very short.  Unfortunately, since it is
  from Compute! there is a copyright problem.  I really wish Compute! wasn't
  so tough on copyrighting programs such as these.  I mean, is it really
  worth it?  The program is quite short, not even a hunderd lines.  The
  easiest thing to do with this program is to give it one BASIC command...
  RUN"D1:YOURFILE.BAS" and then you're on your way.  It is on page 167 of
  the above mentioned book.  A very useful utility!

					Glenn.

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless unless   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             otherwise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

herb@hpindda.HP.COM (Herb Gellis) (01/06/88)

There is a public domain utility called MENUPLUS that, amongst other things,
has an option to create autorun.sys files to run a BASIC program. The BASIC
program can only be a few lines, but it is used typically to execute a
RUN of the actual program you want. I have used it to create an autorun.sys
to automatically boot up AMODEM - the little basic program I wrote that is
attached to the autorun.sys prints in large letters "LOADING AMODEM", and then
runs AMODEM. The version of MENUPLUS that I have is V5.5. It has one annoying
feature that it tends to change one of the characters in the BASIC program
(randomly?), so it may require minor experimentation.

You should be able to get MENUPLUS (and lots of other goodies) from your
friendly local user group (hopefully you have one!)

 |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "What will I be when I grow up?
 | Herb Gellis                      | You are already grown up.
 | {ucbvax,...}!hplabs!hpindda!herb | You mean this is as UP as I will get?..."
 |                                  | David Gerrold, "When HARLIE Was One"