[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Info-Atari8 Digest

"Michael_A_Parisi.HENR801G"@XEROX.COM (01/09/88)

Is there any way the Atari game cartridges for the video game systems (like
2600) can be modified to run on the 8 bit machines?

Also is there any way of converting the cassette based games I have to disk
format?

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (DUZAN) (01/09/88)

In article <880108-115926-1984@Xerox> "Michael_A_Parisi.HENR801G"@XEROX.COM writes:
>Is there any way the Atari game cartridges for the video game systems (like
>2600) can be modified to run on the 8 bit machines?

   Reasonably speaking, I believe not. As I understand it, the 2600 uses a
completely different processor (not 6502) than the computers. I'm not certain
of this, but if so, you would have to convert the machine code. You may as
well rewrite the program.

>Also is there any way of converting the cassette based games I have to disk
>format?

   Possible. I have seen utilities that convert cassette boot programs into
disk boot programs, but I'm not sure where you would get one. As you know,
cassettes are not used a whole lot anymore. Good luck.

					    Gary Duzan
					    Time  Lord
                                        Third Regeneration
                                     Atari Enthusiast Extreme

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (01/12/88)

In article <880108-115926-1984@Xerox>, "Michael_A_Parisi.HENR801G"@XEROX.COM writes:
> Is there any way the Atari game cartridges for the video game systems (like
> 2600) can be modified to run on the 8 bit machines?

The address space of the 2600 and the 8 bit computers are very different,
and the video display is organized *very* differently.  It is not practical
to attempt to run the game cartridges.  Even given the source for the games,
it is a fair hassle to do a conversion.

Jim Tittsler, Atari Corporation