[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Hack, and the 8-bit...

Johnny@UACSC1.ALBANY.EDU (01/13/88)

From: Johnny B.
 I would like to know if anyone in netland knows if there is a version
of hack for the 8-bit atari?  I have it for the st, but I dont always
have access to the st.  If I could get it for the 8-bit it would be
great.  Anyone know of anything?

						John Bunch.

J.Bunch@uacsc1.albany.edu	Internet.
JBB665@albny1vx			BITnet.

dennett@kodak.UUCP (Charlie Dennett) (01/14/88)

In article <8801131502.AA21280@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> J.Bunch@UACSC1.ALBANY.EDU writes:
>From: Johnny B.
> I would like to know if anyone in netland knows if there is a version
>of hack for the 8-bit atari?

I don't know about hack, but I came across a version of rogue for the 8-bitters.
I was not all that impressed. In fact, I believe I purged it from the disc
it was on.  I found it on one of the local boards here in Rochester.

--
Charlie Dennett            | UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!dennett
Eastman Kodak Company      | Voice: 716-726-4480

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (01/25/88)

There is NO version of Hack for the Atari 8-bit, simply
because Hack is an extremely space-intensive (i.e.
memory-intensive) game. Just consider - the hack
dungeon consists of over 20 levels, each of which may
need to be stored, rooms, hallways, monsters, and all. 48k
of memory is simply not enough.

There is a version of Rogue available for the Atari 8-bit,
however (since Rogue only saves one dungeon level at a time,
such a thing is possible). It is produced under the Epyx
label, I think.

John
    John DiMarco           Hard work never killed a man ...
jdd@csri.toronto.edu          ... but it sure has scared lots of them!
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!utcsri!jdd      jdd@utcsri.UUCP

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (01/27/88)

In article <1988Jan25.125404.28913@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:

> There is a version of Rogue available for the Atari 8-bit,
> however (since Rogue only saves one dungeon level at a time,
> such a thing is possible). It is produced under the Epyx
> label, I think.

Epyx made a version of Rogue for the ST (they don't even carry that anymore
in their latest catalog).  They never intended to make an 8bit version.

ANTIC magazine published a version called Arogue that is pretty good
considering the memory limitation.  I have a 48K machine and it works
fine.  It is in BASIC, so it is easy to cheat if you are so inclined.
It uses redefined character sets which makes it a little hard to read on
a color tv using the RF modulator.  Might be a lot better if you had one
with a composite video input.  Would be much better if used with a color
monitor.  It was reviewed by one of the regular readers here on the net
last summer/fall when it was printed in ANTIC.  He beat me to it, I'm
pretty slow at typing in magazine listings because my time is limited
for such frivolous pursuits.  I barely have time to look up the spelling
of all these words in the dictionary  :-)  .

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes