[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Video Cables

lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) (02/25/88)

OK. I have a 65XE, with a round connector on the back to connect to a monitor.
Up to now, I have been using the standard modulated output, connected to a
regular TV.
I just got a nicer TV that has direct video and audio inputs.
I assume that going from the 65XE directly to the TV's video input will give
me a sharper picture, and *maybe* allow GRAPHICS 8/80 chars to happen.
So...
Does the 65XE video port supply composite video and direct audio out?
If so, does the Reticon cable I have seen that terminates in two phono jacks
work for me?  If so, how is it connected?  I would rather not just try it,
given the $'s I paid for the TV.
-Stan

"Hugh_E._Wells.ElSegundo"@XEROX.COM (03/01/88)

The composite output from the 65XE, as with most all 8-bit Atari's, is
compatible with any video monitor or TV configured for composite signal input.
A direct connection from the computer to the monitor is proper.  A better
resolution in the picture quality is achieved by the elimination of the RF
transmitter/RF receiver portion of the computer/TV combination.  Some
degredation of signal quality  by the RF path.

The alternate monichrome configuration to composite is where vertical and
horizontal sync, and video are brought out separately for use by the monitor.
Composite video is the preferred output as it is easier to handle.

As for 80 columns, most color TV screens do not have enough pixel resolution to
support 80 columns adequately.  That is why most 80 column systems tend use a
monichrome screen.  Many patterns of character generation have been tried for
color TV screens in an attempt to achieve high resolu
80 columns is a tough road for a color TV monitor.

Hugh Wells

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/03/88)

In article <880229-110709-1608@Xerox>, "Hugh_E._Wells.ElSegundo"@XEROX.COM.UUCP writes:
> The composite output from the 65XE, as with most all 8-bit Atari's, is
> compatible with any video monitor or TV configured for composite signal input.
> support 80 columns adequately.  That is why most 80 column systems tend use a
> monichrome screen.  Many patterns of character generation have been tried for
> color TV screens in an attempt to achieve high resolu
> 80 columns is a tough road for a color TV monitor.

I am not sure about the 65XE (since I don't own one), but I felt the need to
point out that the 130 XE has a color alternative to the composite output.
There are 2 other pins in the 5-pin DIN connector (which ones I can't say now,
as my manual is at home - but look in a 130XE manual if you can borrow one)
that provide 2 signals:  one, the "chroma" [chrominance], and the other,
the "luma" [luminance] signal.  There are also some monitors, that cost about
the same as "ordinary" color monitors did a couple of years or so ago, that
accept these signals.  The one I have is a Commodore 1802C.  I bought it at
a local discount store (Service Merchandise).  All I had to hack on was the
cable that came with the monitor: replace the Commodore 8-pin plug with a
5-pin plug, using the 130XE and 1802C manuals as a guide.

It works quite well, and provides enough resolution for use with 80 columns,
at least for the 80col. display provided by OMNIVIEW, which is a very well-
worked-out GR. 8 - based rendition of a character set.  I am sure that a
monochrome monitor would appear even sharper, but I didn't want to play
"musical monitors," and where would I put it?  (I looked for a composite
monitor with a mono. mode, but never found such a beastie.  Existence proof,
anyone?)  Oh, yes - all the other graphics is sharper with the chroma/luma
monitor too, although artifacting is mostly [entirely?  Super 3D Plotter II
seems to be able to use it still] gone.  If anything, it's the artifacting
that makes the composite 80-column display unreadable (all I have to do
to see this is change cables and switch the 1802C to composite video mode).

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')