[comp.sys.atari.8bit] OmniCom key bindings

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (03/03/88)

John Bunch writes:
> Could someone pleas tell me what the key bindings for omnicom are?  I would
> like to no what keys are the keypad keys...  Thanks..

The full documentation on OmniCom is still, as far as I know, available from
David Young, 421 Hanbee, Richardson TX 75080.  When you send in your $10
Shareware fee to David, he will send you a disk containing the latest version
of OmniCom, minus the Shareware message on the front and containing the user
manual in the file OC.DOC (or some such name).  As I understand it, support
for David's other products (and probably also OmniCom) are now available
through Wes Newell of Newell Industries, 602 E. Highway 78, Wylie, TX 75098.
Newell's phone number is (214) 442-6612.

The OmniCom manual is very clear and complete and well written, and explains a
lot of details in addition to the question you asked.  It is certainly worth
the $10 fee, if you plan to use OmniCom seriously.  (If you have a conscience,
you also gain the good feeling of being a legal user, too.)

However, in case you want to play around with the keypad to help you decide if
you want to pay to become a long-term legal owner, you'll find that the keypad
keys are over at the left end of the keyboard.  Specifically, the leftmost
four columns, plus B and N.

For what it's worth, I have found OmniCom to be an extremely satisfactory
substitute for a real vt100 in talking to my VAX at work from my Atari at
home.  The keypad feature makes it highly useable for my application.
It acts so much like my vt100 at work that I have no trouble at all swapping
back and forth between the two terminals.  If you need to do screen editing,
with keypad commands, it's still the only game in town so far as I know.  Not
only that, but it supports XMODEM and ASCII capture as well as KERMIT, and as
the "icing on the cake", it has a built-in "PRINT SCREEN" function that I find
immensely useful for quickly capturing short e-mail messages on paper.  At
$10, I think it is one of the best software values around.

-John Sangster

(I have no financial interest in CDY Consulting or OmniCom.)