[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari hookup to IBM hard drives

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/14/88)

In article <1394@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.UUCP (Stan Lackey) writes:

>On a different subject:  I have been noticing hard disk drives available for
>IBM PC's in mail-order catalogs for as little as $199 for 10MB.  It seems an
>interesting thing to do might be to adapt one of those to the atari.  I
>don't have the slightest idea how to do it, but am an experienced hardware
>designer, and have done a lot of 6502 assem lang as well.  Anybody want to
>team up?  I live in eastern Mass, if that matters.

  I do believe ICD's MIO interface package is supposed to let you
hook up "standard SCSI controller" hard disks to the 8-bit Atari. I
agree, it would be terrific if it works, because then it's a (relatively)
cheap source of mass storage. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about
SCSI-compatability, except that it's claimed. Any information you get
would be appreciated by a *lot* of us here, I believe.

						--R.J.
						B-)

Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (03/14/88)

In article <473@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
>In article <1394@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.UUCP (Stan Lackey) writes:
>>
>>On a different subject:  I have been noticing hard disk drives available for
>>IBM PC's in mail-order catalogs for as little as $199 for 10MB.  It seems an
>>interesting thing to do might be to adapt one of those to the atari.  I
>>don't have the slightest idea how to do it, but am an experienced hardware
>>designer, and have done a lot of 6502 assem lang as well.  Anybody want to
>>team up?  I live in eastern Mass, if that matters.
>
>  I do believe ICD's MIO interface package is supposed to let you
>hook up "standard SCSI controller" hard disks to the 8-bit Atari. I
>agree, it would be terrific if it works, because then it's a (relatively)
>cheap source of mass storage. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about
>SCSI-compatability, except that it's claimed. Any information you get
>would be appreciated by a *lot* of us here, I believe.

   True. I own the ICD MIO (1 Meg), and it does support SCSI hard ,drive
controllers. However, this is not the IBM standard controller. You can use
a normal IBM type drive, but you must have a special SCSI controller card,
which is more expensive (though one controller can usually run 2 drives).
Keep in mind that you will also need a case, power supply, special cables,
and a fan. ICD offers complete SCSI setups for anyone who is interested.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration
                                 Atari Enthusiast Extreme