[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Daisy-chaining two Atari 8bits

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/04/88)

I have an 800XL and a 400, but only one disk drive (a 1050).

I've rigged up a connection whereby both the 400 and the 800XL can be
connected to the disk drive through the Atari serial IO port - of course,
both machines cannot do serial IO simultaneously but:

- can both machines be chained to the drive, and both be on (although only
one is doing IO at a time)?
- if NO to the above, can both machines be chained to the drive, with only
one machine on at a time?
- if either of the above occur, can anything be damaged?

Thanks in advance,

John
    John DiMarco           Hard work never killed a man ...
jdd@csri.toronto.edu          ... but it sure has scared lots of them!
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!utcsri!jdd      jdd@utcsri.UUCP

bk0h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brett Kuehner) (03/10/88)

I've done this with a 400 and 800. I just connected the SIO port on each on to
the back of the disk drive (810). It worked, as long as they didn't both do IO
at the same time. However, the SIO cables carry +5 volts, so even if you turn
the power switch on one machine off, or even unplug it, it will remain on,