[comp.sys.atari.8bit] No more 8-bit support?

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/21/88)

Scary thought time:

  Somebody just told me that Atari has "officially" announced that they will
not support the 8-bit line after 1988 is over.

  Can anyone confirm/deny this? The speaker is not known for Atari bashing or
practical jokes, but nobody else I know has heard of this...

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. I wonder if this is how Vic-20 owners felt when their machine got
axed...
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (03/22/88)

In article <530@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:

>   Somebody just told me that Atari has "officially" announced that they will
> not support the 8-bit line after 1988 is over.

This is clearly NOT true.

Actually, thanks at least in part to the XE Game System, the 8-bit line is
doing quite nicely, thank you.  We are in fact experiencing an upswing in
interest, and therefore development, in the 8-bit machines.

Jim Tittsler, Atari Corporation

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (03/23/88)

>   Somebody just told me that Atari has "officially" announced that they will
> not support the 8-bit line after 1988 is over.
>
>   Can anyone confirm/deny this? The speaker is not known for Atari bashing or
> practical jokes, but nobody else I know has heard of this...

Careful - that probably depends on what you  mean  by  "support."    I
have read in a recent article in ANALOG (4/88 issue, by Matt Ratcliff,
the 8-bit expert) that Atari seems to want to stop producing any  more
NEW  UPGRADES  (i.e, machines with more RAM than the 130XE) for the 8-
bits.  I have  seen  nothing  (and  I  read  the  messages  on  Delphi
regularly,  where  the ANALOG magazine editors and even [occasionally]
Neil Harris of Atari Inc.  hold forth) that indicates that  Atari  has
any  plans to stop making or "supporting" the 8-bits.  If you call the
lack of new h/w upgrades for the machines a  lack  of  support,  well,
that's another way of looking at it.

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami -0^0-) (03/24/88)

In article <1022@atari.UUCP> jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) writes:

>Actually, thanks at least in part to the XE Game System, the 8-bit line is
>doing quite nicely, thank you.  We are in fact experiencing an upswing in
>interest, and therefore development, in the 8-bit machines.
>
>Jim Tittsler, Atari Corporation

Phew! that's good.  What about some support then???
1. software for the xep-80.  perhaps express-80 should be bundled
	to get people to buy the atari modem.  besides, I want to know
	I can get software for it before I go buy it.
2. get express-80 developed. or maybe kermit-80
3. lower prices.  I saw 800xl prices jump from $90 to $150 just to
	'keep up' with the XEGS.

John Kawakami              /    c60b-at@buddy.berkeley.edu
It wouldn't take me long   /cc-28@cory.berkeley.edu
To tell you how to find it /      ----*     -O^O-