[comp.sys.atari.8bit] XE Game Cartridges on 400/800

bobm@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Bob Montgomery) (04/09/88)

Ok, let's talk about games.  I have lots of games and I want more.  And
some of those new XE games look pretty good.  But I have a 48K 800.  Will
they work, he wonders?

I wish Atari would say but they only mention XE and XL systems on the
boxes.

Here's what I've heard:

   Rumor 1:  "None of the blue box games will play on old Ataris."  --
      Kaybee Toys salesperson.

   Rumor 2:  "Everyone we've tried has worked except for 'One on One'".
      -- B&C ComputerVision salesperson.

Here's what I know:

  XE Cartridge		800/48K		400/16K

  BattleZone  		Yes		No
  Rescue on Fractalus!	Yes		No
  Flight Simulator II	No		No

Anyone know or care?

Bob Montgomery

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami -0^0-) (04/13/88)

In article <1010003@hpfcmr.HP.COM> bobm@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Bob Montgomery) writes:

>Ok, let's talk about games.  I have lots of games and I want more.  And
>some of those new XE games look pretty good.  But I have a 48K 800.  Will
>they work, he wonders?
>
>I wish Atari would say but they only mention XE and XL systems on the
>boxes.

Does anyone know what the diference is between the xe/xk/xegs carts and the
older carts is.  Do the new carts 'load' themselves before executing;
do the bankswitch?  whats going on?

John Kawakami                       >    c60b-at@buddy.berkeley.edu
These boots are made for posing    <    -O~O-
and that's just what they'll do     >    )o(

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (04/13/88)

> Bob Montgomery writes:
>
> Ok, let's talk about games.  I have lots of games and I want more.  And
> some of those new XE games look pretty good.  But I have a 48K 800.  Will
> they work, he wonders?
> Anyone know or care?

I don't know about any of the newly-released-on-cartridge (or new, and on
cartridge) games in particular.  I do care, because I feel that owners of
the "old" (400/800) Atari 8-bit computers should not be excluded arbitrarily.
Certainly, if the game requires 64K, it's not going to run on a (stock)
400/800.  If the program depends on specific changes to the OS (rev. B?) in
the XLs/XEs, it won't run on a 400/800.  But would Atari release a game that
has such dependencies?

If your dealer(s) will let you try out the games in the store, why not just
bring in your 800, hook it up (no disk since these are cart. games), and
try the games?   I've done this sort of thing with my first disk drive when
a program would not load.

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (04/13/88)

In article <1010003@hpfcmr.HP.COM> bobm@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Bob Montgomery) writes:

>Ok, let's talk about games.  I have lots of games and I want more.  And
>some of those new XE games look pretty good.  But I have a 48K 800.  Will
>they work, he wonders?
>

>Here's what I know:
>
>  XE Cartridge		800/48K		400/16K
>
>  BattleZone  		Yes		No
>  Rescue on Fractalus!	Yes		No
>  Flight Simulator II	No		No
>
>Anyone know or care?

  Of course! It's about Atari, I care!

  I have it STRAIGHT from two horses' mouthes (and they both sell Atari
software/hardware, so it's not gossiping) that the XE Game System cartridges
will work with ALL Ataris with 48K. I don't know why you'd had problems with
Flight Simulator II, but apparently *all* of them will work on the 800!

  This is terrific news, and is (hopefully) a sign that somebody up at
Sunnyvale is really on the ball.

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. I'd love to get Flight Simulator II alone, but right now it only comes
with the XE Game System...
Bitnet: rjung@castor.usc.edu              "Who needs an Amiga?"    = == =
                                                                   = == =
                  Power WithOUT the Price                          = == =
                                                               ===== == =====
   Just because it's 8-bits doesn't make it obsolete.          ====  ==  ====

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (04/13/88)

   I have a further, though simpler question. Are the
new el-humungo carts. the kind that requires the two little
plastic tabs on the computer to open the cart. or is the slot
exposed? I have the ICD MIO 130XE adapter which doesn't have
the plastic tabs. While this just means that I have to use a
paper clip to open the case every time I use an Atari brand
cart., I would rather not go through the trouble.

				 Gary Duzan
				 Time  Lord
                             Third Regeneration
                          Atari Enthusiast Extreme

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (04/14/88)

In article <700@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:
> In article <1010003@hpfcmr.HP.COM> bobm@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Bob Montgomery) writes:
> >
> >Ok, let's talk about games.  I have lots of games and I want more.  And
> >some of those new XE games look pretty good.  But I have a 48K 800.  Will
> >they work, he wonders?
> >
>   I have it STRAIGHT from two horses' mouthes (and they both sell Atari
> software/hardware, so it's not gossiping) that the XE Game System cartridges
> will work with ALL Ataris with 48K. I don't know why you'd had problems with
> Flight Simulator II, but apparently *all* of them will work on the 800!

This is news to me.  Have they actually tried them?  The reason I ask is
because Atari themselves (in the person of Neil Harris) said that many of
the new cartridges will not work in the older machines specifically because
they download 64K of information.  After all, they are supposed to be for
the XE Game System which has 64K of RAM.  Flight Simulator II has always
been used as an example of one of the cartridges that won't work unless
you have a 64K machine.  I am curious also, because I would like to get
FS II when it is available.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

swklassen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (04/15/88)

In article <1016@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:

>   I have a further, though simpler question. Are the
>new el-humungo carts. the kind that requires the two little
>plastic tabs on the computer to open the cart. or is the slot
>exposed? I have the ICD MIO 130XE adapter which doesn't have
>the plastic tabs. While this just means that I have to use a
>paper clip to open the case every time I use an Atari brand
>cart., I would rather not go through the trouble.

Why not just take the cartridge apart and remove the bottom part of
the cartridge leaving the case open?  I wouldn't think that it would
be that hard to do.

Steven W. Klassen
Computer Science Major
University of Waterloo

rjung@sal39.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (04/15/88)

In article <700@nunki.usc.edu>, I wrote

In article <2861@ihlpe.ATT.COM> kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
>This is news to me.  Have they actually tried them?  The reason I ask is
>because Atari themselves (in the person of Neil Harris) said that many of
>the new cartridges will not work in the older machines specifically because
>they download 64K of information.  After all, they are supposed to be for
>the XE Game System which has 64K of RAM.

  That is a true point. However, near as I can tell (or remember -- Direct
quoting is not one of my talents B-), the XE Game System cartridges should be
able to work on the older 800 machines. I do know that I haven't heard anyone
confirm any reports of INcompatability...

  But like you said, the 64K cartridges may *not* work, because of insufficient
RAM. Since I am beginning to have doubts myself on this matter, lemme go check
this out again, and get back to you...

						--R.J.,
						feeling embarrassed
						B-)

P.S. I'd like to get _Flight simulator II_ when it comes out by itself, too.