[comp.sys.atari.8bit] The latest Antic magazine

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (05/04/88)

   I just got the latest issue of Antic the other day &
found all sorts of neat things. They had a complete
article on the XF551 drive answering most of the questions
that have been brought up here. I also appreciated the
reviews of ICD's new Flashback! and SprataDOS Tool Kit.
They sound like good packages, but I am wondering about the
SpartaDOS X cart. they are supposed to be coming out with.
If it will include the Tool Kit as well as the other stuff
they claim it will have, I'll wait for X. If X is out and
doesn't have any of this stuff, I may as well go ahead and
get the Tool Kit. Does anyone know anything about the X?

				  Gary Duzan
				  Time  Lord
                              Third Regeneration
                           Atari Enthusiast Extreme

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (05/04/88)

In article <1172@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:

> I am wondering about the
> SpartaDOS X cart. they are supposed to be coming out with.
> If it will include the Tool Kit as well as the other stuff
> they claim it will have, I'll wait for X. If X is out and
> doesn't have any of this stuff, I may as well go ahead and
> get the Tool Kit. Does anyone know anything about the X?

The following information is directly from the ICD BBS.  I don't know if it
answers all the questions, but it is a good start.

                                SpartaDOS X

Just what your 8-bit has been waiting for...a cartridge based DOS which
increases the power of your computer and includes an abundance of features
such as automatic Ultra Speed I/O with the Indus GT, US Doubler, and High Speed
on the new Atari XF551.  SpartaDOS X is a fantastic new version of its disk
based cousin.

Even though SpartaDOS X is a 64K cartridge, it requires no memory from your
computer.  You may piggyback another cartridge on top of the SpartaDOS X
cartridge and operate just as if you had booted from disk -- except much, much
faster.  Here are just a few of the advanced features found in this cartridge
based DOS.

        High Speed drive access with US Doubler, Atari XF551, and Indus GT
            drives.
        New improved menu program.  Shows entire directory tree and performs
            multi-file operations.
        Supports up to 1 meg of internal memory as a RAMDISK.
        The Lowest MEMLO of any DOS!
        Powerful file loader supports relocatable files and symbol linking.
        All new command processor includes parameter passing on batch files,
            user definable prompt, and search file paths.
        Commands now allow MS-DOS syntax!
        The most commonly used commands are built right into the cartridge!
        Atari 800 support with Axlon compatible upgrades.
        Built in, all new formatter pops in with an XIO#254.

SpartaDOS X runs on an 800XL, 1200XL, 600XL (with expanded memory), 65XE, 130XE
800XE, the XE Game System, the old 800 with Axlon compatible RAM upgrade.

NOTE: SpartaDOS X will become available in June 1988. ($79.95 MSRP)

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

knutsen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (05/07/88)

In article <1172@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:
> that have been brought up here. I also appreciated the
> reviews of ICD's new Flashback! and SprataDOS Tool Kit.

For the benefit of those of us who hate Antic magazine, would you mind
summarizing the features of the SpartaDOS Took Kit?
--
   \ I don't drink, so how \ Jersey   \ GEnie GE Mail: M.KNUTSEN      \   |||
    \ come I live in Barr   \ Atari    \ The JACG BBS: (201)298-0161   \ / | \
 ||| \ Hall on Busch Campus? \ Computer \ NetLand: knutsen@rutgers.edu  \
/ | \ \  --Mark Knutsen, R.U. \ Group    \ or: {...}!rutgers.edu!knutsen \

knutsen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (05/07/88)

> summarizing the features of the SpartaDOS Took Kit?
                                            ^^^^

Whoops, make that: "Tool Kit".
Something tells me we'll see a SDOS Baggins Kit before we ever see a
SDOS Took Kit... :-)