[comp.sys.atari.8bit] modems and the 1200xl

ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) (05/04/88)

I would like to know more about the sx212.  Does it have full hayes
compatibility?  Or am I better of sticking with my 850 and my AVATEX
1200HC??

					Steve.

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (05/05/88)

In article <760@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) writes:

>I would like to know more about the sx212.  Does it have full hayes
>compatibility?  Or am I better of sticking with my 850 and my AVATEX
>1200HC??
>
>					Steve.

   Answers - yes and yes respectively. I don't see any reason to go
to the added expense of replacing existing equipment with something
practically identical, but if you can get a hold of the proper
handlers for the direct 8-bit hookup, it would be a good modem for
a 0-300 baud replacement.

				   Gary Duzan
				   Time  Lord
                               Third Regeneration
                            Atari Enthusiast Extreme

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (05/05/88)

In article <760@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) writes:

>I would like to know more about the sx212.  Does it have full hayes
>compatibility?  Or am I better of sticking with my 850 and my AVATEX
>1200HC??
>
>					Steve.

Keep your 850 and Avatex HC. The Avatex HC has all the S registers available
while the SX-212 has some missing. (Never were placed in, listed as RESERVED)
While the SX-212 looks smart, it's still not as smart as most other modems that people use\have.

Now if you did'nt have the 850, i'd say get the SX-212 then find the P\D
program called " SX Companion " which will allow you to use the SX via the
SIO port at both 300 and 1200 Bps

rich.....

--
 Disclaimer: The words, expressions posted here are my own.....
 Nothing is ever so bad that it can't be made worse by trying to fix it

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (05/05/88)

In article <760@leah.Albany.Edu>, ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) writes:

> I would like to know more about the sx212.  Does it have full hayes
> compatibility?  Or am I better of sticking with my 850 and my AVATEX
> 1200HC??
>
> 					Steve.

Steve,

   Yes, the SX212 is FULLY Hayes compatible.  You can even use it with non-
Atari computer equipment if you want to.  If I were you, I'd keep the 850 and
your modem-cable; you just unplug that Avatex, plug in the SX212, and do what
you were doing before-- only BETTER!  I'm running this combination of 850 and
SX212, using the standard Atari R: handler and Kermit65, to type this very mes-
sage.  So it does work, and quite well at that.

   Chris
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) (05/06/88)

In article <2880@bsu-cs.UUCP>, cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
> Steve,
>
>    Yes, the SX212 is FULLY Hayes compatible.  You can even use it with non-
> Atari computer equipment if you want to.  If I were you, I'd keep the 850 and
> your modem-cable; you just unplug that Avatex, plug in the SX212, and do what
> you were doing before-- only BETTER!  I'm running this combination of 850 and
> SX212, using the standard Atari R: handler and Kermit65, to type this very
> message.  So it does work, and quite well at that.
>
>    Chris

Does the sx212 support error checking?  I use my avatex and the 850 to
call school, and I get a lot of line noise.  Or do I have to go to a
higher baud rate before the modem will support error checking?  And the
problem is I have to give the 850 back to the person who let me borrow
it, that is why I was asking about the sx212.

							Steve.

SS6349@leah.albany.edu			{Internet}

Steven H Schimmrich	Dep. Of Geology		SUNY at Albany

PHR140@URIMVS.BITNET ("Ray C") (05/08/88)

    One thing I found out when I first started using an Avatex
    1200 modem with an R-verter interface on my 1200xl was that the
    interface was not getting enough power.  I remembered that there
    is a current limitting resistor on the +5 volt line of the sio
    bus.  This is resistor R63.  If you put a jumper across this
    resistor, you will be able to use an r-verter or an p:r: connection
    with the 1200xl.  Also, if you want to get at the croma video
    signal (to feed monitors that have separate croma and luma inputs)
    you can connect a 0.01 uf capacitor to the junction of R184 and
    C119.  Attach the other end the the free pin of the video jack.
    Using this configuration gives a much better picture on the
    commodore (ack!) monitors, and other monitors that support this
    type of vide input.