     Atarians Rejoice (?)
     From: DFSCOTT
     To: ALL

This is a Computer Shopper exclusive story.

Atari Corp. is undergoing another corporate restructuring, but this time
more massive than before.  A division company, to be known as Atari
Computers, is being formed.  Charles Babbitt has been named Atari Computers
President, and Anthony Gould his Vice President for Sales.  Although still
under the umbrella leadership of the Tramiels, it appears at this time
that a semi-autonomous company in the manner of Amiga Corp. is being spun off.
In an exclusive interview, Atari chief spokesman Neil Harris told this reporter
that Babbitt has been given two months to form a new corporate strategy for
Atari Computers.  During that period of time, says Harris, Corporate
leadership has ordered no one at Atari Computers to speak with the press.
Nonetheless, Babbitt was cornered into releasing general information to
Computer + Software News about a special packaging arrangement of the Mega 4,
perhaps for sales to Value-Added Resellers.

It apparently has yet to be decided what role current Atari Corp.
management will play in leading the new Computers division.  More details
as they become available.

END OF ARTICLE

Since it is not dated April 1, I assume it is for real.  If so, it may be
the answer to all those that have been Atari bashing lately.  I view it as
a positive step for Atari and one that could raise their credibility IF
they can bring more products to market.  I have also read that because
of chip problems, etc., Atari will be out of virtually all products by
the end of the year.  No amount of reorganization will help if you don't
have a product to sell.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

In article <2918@ihlpe.ATT.COM> kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) writes:
>Atari Corp. is undergoing another corporate restructuring, ...
>... A division company, to be known as Atari Computers, is being formed.
>
>Since it is not dated April 1, I assume it is for real.  If so, it may be
>the answer to all those that have been Atari bashing lately.

Sounds interesting, but if all of the Computer business is one division what
does everyone else do? Video games? I'm thinking this would make the org
chart something like ...

				Tramiel Bros...

	 	+--------------------+-----------------------+
	    Babbitt					  ???????
	    Atari Computers			          VideoGames (2600 et al)
      Roy      Neil	???
      (SW)     (Mktg)  (HW)

Wonder if they can pull it off. They definitely need to restructure it in
some way. There is no way they can sell a UNIX box (aka '030) without a
fully staffed customer support division...

--Chuck McManis