[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Comdex report

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (05/12/88)

Well after 2 days at Comdex, we got our work done early and came home so
I thought you might be interested at what was news.

Atari was there, on the floor with a relatively large booth. This is a
very serious attempt at marketing because even a small 10 x 10 booth
will cost a company upwards of $40,000 to put up, and Atari's booth was
about 40 x 40.

The Atari booth had Mega ST's everywhere. Almost every display was a
Mega, except for an occasional 1040. After searching the entire booth, I
finally asked and found that Atari did not have a _single_ 8 bit on
display.

On the other hand, Atari did have a '286 AT compatible on display, and a
couple of the Atai Laserprinters. I didn't notice them in operation but
I was very busy at the time.

Neil Harris was there, and so I asked about his presence on the net. His
presence or lack of is simply a matter of time. He logs on to things
about 4 (?) times a week these days. He did mention that several people
in engineering log on, so ifyou guys are out there, please speak up.

As for products at the show? I wasn't really looking. I just kept
thinking about the thousands of people back home with 8bits. But we've
gotten to the point where millions count.

One thing that Neil Harris did mention that I thought was interesting. 8
bits still account for a meaningful amount of sales, largely because
they are being sold to (suprise!) Poland now. I think something like
100,000 units sold in Poland or such. Interesting.

Such was excitement. Sorry I don't have more, but Comdex is a big show
and the few minutes I spent at the Atari booth was probably the most I
spent at any single vendor.

Terry Conklin
ihnp4!msudoc!conklin
(517) 372-3131  3/12/2400
(313) 334-8877  3/1200

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (05/13/88)

In article <8254@eecae.UUCP>, conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:
> Well after 2 days at Comdex, we got our work done early and came home so
> I thought you might be interested at what was news.
>
> The Atari booth had Mega ST's everywhere. Almost every display was a
> Mega, except for an occasional 1040. After searching the entire booth, I
> finally asked and found that Atari did not have a _single_ 8 bit on
> display.

As far as I know, Atari has never displayed or tried to push the 8bit
machines at COMDEX.  This simply is not the right show for it.   On the
other hand, they should have a pretty good push of the 8bit machines,
especially is the guise of the XE Game Machine, next month at the Summer
Consumer Electronic Show here in Chicago.  I will be looking at Atari
and all the third party software houses to see what, if any, bright spots
I can find.  ANTIC usually has reports on Compuserve that someone posts
here.  I will have my own report, although much abbreviated from what you
can find there.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes