[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Action RTL...

ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) (05/16/88)

   I would like to know if the RTL package for action is in the public
domain?  I saw it on a bbs that I call, and it looks quite interesting.
It will allow you to run programs without that action cart.  If it is in
the public domain, I can post it here.  I am not sure if it is still on
the bbs.  If not I will ask the sysop about it..  Is anyone interested
in it?

							Steve.

SS6349@leah.albany.edu			{Internet}

Steven H Schimmrich	Dep. Of Geology		SUNY at Albany

tommyj@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Johnson) (05/16/88)

In article <790@leah.Albany.Edu> ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) writes:

>   I would like to know if the RTL package for action is in the public
>domain?
>							Steve.

The truth is... I don't know....

When OSS was owned by OSS, the runtime package WAS NOT public domain.
You had to buy the package directly from OSS.  But now that OSS is owned by
ICD... I don't know what their policy is...

My advice is... until you hear different (from a reliable source), consider
the runtime package copyrighted. And don't repost it anywhere.

					Tom Johnson

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (05/17/88)

Steve Schimmrich writes...
> I would like to know if the RTL package for action is in the public domain?

As I understand it, OSS sold a package called the Runtime Library which was
a commercial product, not a PD one.

However, an enterprising soul on the net posted an "alternative RTL package"
awhile back.  This was his own creation, and consisted of code to help you
extract code from the cartridge to a disk.  He was careful to make sure that
the only thing he helped you get was the runtime library, which would not be
useful unless you had the cartridge itself or some compiled code that could
call the runtime library.  If you own the cartridge, you are entitled to
copy it for your own use.  If you want to make standalone programs that
use library routines that are in your own cartridge, you certainly have
the right to do that and put them on a disk.  If you start selling those
programs, you may run into a gray area of the sort that makes lawyers wealthy.
If you merely share them with friends, I doubt that anyone will care.

> I was looking through my disks, and I found the rtl for action, but
> it is in superboot format.  I dont have the program to convert it back to
> usable format.  Does anyone out there ahave superboot?  If so, could you
> encode it and send it my way???  I would be eternally grateful.  Thanx.

> Steven H Schimmrich     Dep. Of Geology         SUNY at Albany

I don't have superboot (would like to find out what it is and get a copy),
but I do have the Poor Man's Runtime Library Package that was posted
awhile ago.  Since I am sure that distribution of it to the net is authorized
by its author, I'll send you a copy (immediately if it is online here,
otherwise a few days).  What you do with it after that is up to you.

-John Sangster / jhsmitre-bedford.arpa