[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Sega specs

rzimbins@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (robert zimbinski) (05/20/88)

In article <3543@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (john->kawakami) writes:

>>does anyone know what kind of CPU that Sega or Nintendo use in their
>>game machines (I assume proprietary...)
>>
>I hear the Sega uses the 68000 and the Nintendo uses a some 8-bit chip
>(Z-80? 6502? 65xxx?)  It appears that the Nintendo has a more sophisticated
>display system (support chips), but the Sega has more computing power.
>The XEGS has a Keyboard.!.!.
>
>     John Kawakami    kawakami@zen.Berkeley.edu

  I happened to have a Sega machine in front of me, so I checked it's stuff.
  It doesn't use a 68000, but a plain old Z80. (I had to take it apart to find
  that out, but what the heck...(-: ))
  Other misc stuff:
  128k ROM
  64K RAM
  128K video RAM
  64 Colors
  256x192 screen resolution
  Horizontal,Vertical,Diagonal and Partial scrolling
  3 four octave sound generators, 1 white noise generator
  Maximum of 256 sprites

  Nobody probably cares, but it's here in case you do....

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (05/20/88)

In article <334@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rzimbins@ub.UUCP (robert zimbinski) writes:

...regarding specs on Sega's games system...

>  256x192 screen resolution

Are you sure of this?  I have seen the display on this machine and it
looks much more dense.  Perhaps the number of colors fakes one's eyes
out, but this resolution is about the same as an Apple II--and those
graphics are not arcade standard by anyone's definition.

--
   //\       Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
  ///\\  OSU College of Business       |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver