[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 2600 games on the 8bit?

rzimbins@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (robert zimbinski) (05/17/88)

    Is it possible to convert an Atari 2600 game cartidge to work on an 8bit
    machine (specifically an 800)?  I've tried taking apart the 2600 cartridge,
    removing the IC, and reseating it inside the 8bit cartridge (Space Invaders
    with its IC removed).
    This doesn't work, but it feels like it ALMOST works.  For a fraction of a
    second after I turn on my computer, I can see the playfield of the 2600
    game, then there is nothing but a
    dull green screen to look at.
    The game unit and the 8bit computers are the same internally, aren't they?
    If so, it should follow that a chip designed to work with the game should
    also work with the computers, right?
    If I'm way off base, please tell me why.  If I'm just a little off base,
    tell me about that too. Heck, just tell me what you know.

							      -Bob Zimbinski

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (05/17/88)

In article <330@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rzimbins@ub.UUCP (robert zimbinski) writes:

>    Is it possible to convert an Atari 2600 game cartidge to work on an 8bit
>    machine (specifically an 800)?  I've tried taking apart the 2600 cartridge,
>    removing the IC, and reseating it inside the 8bit cartridge (Space Invaders
>    with its IC removed).
>    This doesn't work, but it feels like it ALMOST works.  For a fraction of a
>    second after I turn on my computer, I can see the playfield of the 2600
>    game, then there is nothing but a
>    dull green screen to look at.
>    The game unit and the 8bit computers are the same internally, aren't they?

   As I understand it, the 2600 has a completely different microprocessor
than the computers (I don't know what it has). While I have not heard that
the code cannot be converted, I tend to doubt that it can be done easily.

					    Gary Duzan
					    Time  Lord
                                        Third Regeneration
                                     Atari Enthusiast Extreme

p.s. A misconception like this tends to increase the idea that Atari only
     makes game machines.

					   GD,TL,TR,AEE

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (john->kawakami) (05/18/88)

In article <330@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rzimbins@ub.UUCP (robert zimbinski) writes:
>    Is it possible to convert an Atari 2600 game cartidge to work on an 8bit
>    machine (specifically an 800)?  I've tried taking apart the 2600 cartridge,
>[deleted about what Bob did]
>    The game unit and the 8bit computers are the same internally, aren't they?
>    If so, it should follow that a chip designed to work with the game should
>    also work with the computers, right?
>    If I'm way off base, please tell me why.  If I'm just a little off base,
>    tell me about that too. Heck, just tell me what you know.
>
>							      -Bob Zimbinski

If I recall correctly, the 2600 uses a 6507 mpu and the 800 and co. use a 6502
mpu.  So it shouldn't work.  There are also differences in the sprite (player/
missile) mechanisms.  I suspect that there are certain similarities in both
machines -- that they are close enough that a hardware device could be made
to run both machines using common graphics chips.  But They are different enough
so the carts are not interchangable now and will not be in the forseeable
future.
The _5200_ is the machine that is a 800 in disguise.  5200 games are portable to
the 800 if some mods are made to the cart; of course, some code changes will
have to be made to compensate for the joysticks.  There was a cart mod article
in an old ANALOG.

   :the:end:is:near:get:all:your:files:onto:another:machine:fast:
     John Kawakami    kawakami@zen.Berkeley.edu

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (05/18/88)

In article <3466@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (john->kawakami) writes:
>In article <330@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rzimbins@ub.UUCP (robert zimbinski) writes:
>>    Is it possible to convert an Atari 2600 game cartidge to work on an 8bit
>>    machine (specifically an 800)?  I've tried taking apart the 2600 cartridge,
>>    The game unit and the 8bit computers are the same internally, aren't they?

No.  They are two very different machines.

>>    If I'm way off base, please tell me why.  If I'm just a little off base,
>>    tell me about that too. Heck, just tell me what you know.
>>
>>							      -Bob Zimbinski
>
>If I recall correctly, the 2600 uses a 6507 mpu and the 800 and co. use a 6502
>mpu.  So it shouldn't work.  There are also differences in the sprite (player/
>missile) mechanisms.  I suspect that there are certain similarities in both
>machines -- that they are close enough that a hardware device could be made
>to run both machines using common graphics chips.  But They are different enough
>so the carts are not interchangable now and will not be in the forseeable
>future.

This is correct.  These two machines are VERY, VERY different machines.
The games are quite totally non-portable (I am not sure why one would want
to port a 2600 game to a 400/800 anyhow, but that is one's own perogative :-)

>The _5200_ is the machine that is a 800 in disguise.  5200 games are portable to
>the 800 if some mods are made to the cart; of course, some code changes will
>have to be made to compensate for the joysticks.  There was a cart mod article
>in an old ANALOG.

This is partially true.  I guess that although the 5200 used the 6502 and
the Antic/PIA/Pokey chip set, Atari, Inc., in its infinite wisdom, brain-
damaged the 5200 enough to make it non-compatible with the home computers.
It is possible to transfer the 5200 games to the 400/800, but you have to
make software mods once you get the object file to the 400/800 since the
5200 uses those evil-joysticks-from-hell (that are two potentiometers.)
All of which seems much more trouble than it is worth, since there aren't
any 5200 games I can think of that didn't come from the 400/800 in the
first place.

One bit of trivia:  the 6507, the CPU in the 2600, is also used in the
wonderful Atari disk drives!  Yes, you too can build the 2600 emulator
for your Atari 1050...

As long as we are discussing game machines, does anyone know the technical
poop about the 7800, the evil-black-sheep of the Atari Game machine line?
Now some of the games I saw for this little gem were kinda nice.  Also,
does anyone know what kind of CPU that Sega or Nintendo use in their
game machines (I assume proprietary...)

--
   //\       Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
  ///\\  OSU College of Business       |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver

sumrall@nick.egr.msu.edu (Kenneth Sumrall) (05/19/88)

In article <1291@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:
>In article <330@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> rzimbins@ub.UUCP (robert zimbinski) writes:
>>
>>    Is it possible to convert an Atari 2600 game cartidge to work on an 8bit
>>    machine (specifically an 800)?
>
>   As I understand it, the 2600 has a completely different microprocessor
>than the computers (I don't know what it has). While I have not heard that
>the code cannot be converted, I tend to doubt that it can be done easily.

The way I heard it, the designer of the 2600 and 8bit video chips
were the same person.  However, I also know that they are very different
machines.  The 2600 CPU is a 6507 I think.  I might have the number wrong
but it is essentially a scaled down version of the 6502 in the 8bit.  It
only addresses 8K of memory, it's missing some interupts, etc.  The 2600 also
has only 256 BYTES of RAM.  There is no stack, so no subroutines are
allowed.  There is also no video screen memory.  The program must constantly
draw the screen and do its work during the Vblank period.  The video chip is
called the TIA, but I have no documentation on how to use it.

Of course, this is quite unlike the 8bit with its wonderful abilities.
Therefore, it is not possible to move the ROMS between the machines.
(Then again, most if not all games on the 2600 are also made for the 8bit,
and they probably play a lot better on the 8bit.  So why do you want to
run 2600 games on the 8bit in the first place?)

Kenneth Sumrall
Internet:    sumrall@msudoc.egr.msu.edu
UUCP:        ...!ihnp4!msudoc!sumrall
*Of course, given enough monkeys and enough time, and enough reams of typing*
*paper, it is possible for any program to be written, no matter how complex.*

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (john->kawakami) (05/20/88)

In article <13574@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) writes:
>One bit of trivia:  the 6507, the CPU in the 2600, is also used in the
>wonderful Atari disk drives!  Yes, you too can build the 2600 emulator
>for your Atari 1050...
Heh Heh Heh.  Yup, I know the 810s had 6507s, but the 1050s too?!
But will you be able to load disk based 2600 sw, or will you have to get
the cassette games from Arcadia?

>does anyone know what kind of CPU that Sega or Nintendo use in their
>game machines (I assume proprietary...)

I hear the Sega uses the 68000 and the Nintendo uses a some 8-bit chip
(Z-80? 6502? 65xxx?)  It appears that the Nintendo has a more sophisticated
display system (support chips), but the Sega has more computing power.
The XEGS has a Keyboard.!.!.

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (05/20/88)

In article <3543@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (john->kawakami) writes:
>But will you be able to load disk based 2600 sw, or will you have to get
>the cassette games from Arcadia?

Now things are getting a bit silly :-)

>...but the Sega has more computing power.
>The XEGS has a Keyboard.!.!.

Yes.  Too bad that Atari isn't doing any real support of this 65XE-which-
is-a-800XL-in-a-funny-pastel-box.  I for one would like to see them release
the Flight Sim II cartridge for retail sale alone - even though it can't
run on my vintage 1984 Atari 800, I'd buy a used 800XL for a game like
that :-)

8bits are/were great.  I'd be interested to see just how many Atari 400/800/
XL/XE computers are gathering dust versus similar Commodore Vic/64/128
equipment (but that is another flame war... double :-)

--
   //\       Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
  ///\\  OSU College of Business       |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver
 ///  \\
///\\\\\\                "Which key is the any key?"

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (05/20/88)

I seem to remember about 2 years ago, someone posted documentation
on how to write 2600 games.

Anyone have this anymore?

     ARPA: john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
   BITNET: john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu