[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Atari Letter-quality Printer

lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) (06/04/88)

Well, I was walking through my local software shop last night, and, much
to my amazement, I saw a few of the atari letter quality printers selling
for $79.99!!  Needless to say, it took me about 3 seconds to decide to
buy one.  (All I had was an even wimpier PCjr thermal printer I bought off
the telephone auction on TV a few years ago for $30).

OK, it's a little slow.  But it really works.  On actual paper!

My question is, where do I find the replacement little ink things?  I would
like to collect up a supply, because stuff like that can start getting
in short supply when things are past their prime :-).

-Stan

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (06/05/88)

In article <1907@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>Well, I was walking through my local software shop last night, and, much
>to my amazement, I saw a few of the atari letter quality printers selling
>for $79.99!!

Hmm... this may be a good deal, but...

>My question is, where do I find the replacement little ink things?  I would
>like to collect up a supply, because stuff like that can start getting
>in short supply when things are past their prime :-).

My question:  did you buy the Atari 1027 Letter Quality Printer?  If so,
this is a printer that Atari started making about 5 or more years ago
(before Tramiel bought the company) and no longer supports.  (As far
as I know.)  If it isn't the 1027 model, which model is it?  I haven't
heard of any new Atari printers (aside from the XMM801/SMM801 dot matrix
printers and the in/famous Atari Laser Printer) since all the hype about
three years ago.

Good luck on finding supplies though;  I think a couple of places that
might be able to help you out are B & C Computervisions in San Francisco
and a place called American TV (I think ... I don't have my Antic or
Analog magazines in front of me...)  Both of these have advertised parts
and things for older Atari components, they should be able to help you
out.

--
Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
OSU College of Business   |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (06/06/88)

In article <1907@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
...[edited]...
>I saw a few of the atari letter quality printers selling
>for $79.99!!  Needless to say, it took me about 3 seconds to decide to
>buy one.
>
>My question is, where do I find the replacement little ink things?

Atari advertises in every issue of Atari Explorer. They currently list
ink rollers as "in stock".

FC100626 Ink Rollers                    $  3.95
         5 Ink rollers for              $ 10.00

California residents add 7% sales tax.
S & H - under $50.00, add $ 3.50
        over  $50.00, add $ 5.00
        over $100.00, add $ 7.00
        outside USA   add $10.00

Order from Atari ST, Dept. M9
           P. O. Box 61657
           Sunnyvale, Ca. 94088

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (06/06/88)

In article <15077@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) writes:
>In article <1907@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>>Well, I was walking through my local software shop last night, and, much
>>to my amazement, I saw a few of the atari letter quality printers selling
>>for $79.99!!

This is a good deal - jump at it!

>>My question is, where do I find the replacement little ink things?  I would
>>like to collect up a supply, because stuff like that can start getting
>>in short supply when things are past their prime :-).

You don't need to stock up on the ink rollers - you can re-ink them quite
nicely by running them up and down an ink pad a few times. One roller can
last you indefinitely.

>My question:  did you buy the Atari 1027 Letter Quality Printer?  If so,
>this is a printer that Atari started making about 5 or more years ago
>(before Tramiel bought the company) and no longer supports.  (As far
>as I know.)  If it isn't the 1027 model, which model is it?  I haven't
>heard of any new Atari printers (aside from the XMM801/SMM801 dot matrix
>printers and the in/famous Atari Laser Printer) since all the hype about
>three years ago.
The 1027 is the only letter quality printer Atari has produced, and it is the
only Atari printer I know of which uses 'little ink things'. It is a fairly
nice printer, but it has the following disadvantages:
	- it is very loud.
	- it is very slow (about 10-20 cps)
	- it only supports friction feed.

However, it produces quite nice letter quality print, and it supports the
international character set. The one beef I have about the printouts it
produces is the fact that the apostrophe (') character looks rather funny; it
is slanted quite sharply.

If it breaks, however, you'll have trouble getting it fixed, since it is
no longer supported by anybody.

I had a 1027 for quite a while, and it was a fairly nice little printer.

>>-Stan
>--
>Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
>OSU College of Business   |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver

John

    John DiMarco           Hard work never killed a man ...
jdd@csri.toronto.edu          ... but it sure has scared lots of them!
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!utcsri!jdd      jdd@utcsri.UUCP