[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Summer C.E.S. Highlights

rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) (06/06/88)

Greetings from Chicago!

	I really hate to do this to you all but here are the cold hard
facts.

1)  This year the CES was geared strictly for games. (:<)

2)  There were no new software packages displayed for the ST line.

3)  As of Sunday, the second day of the show, the attendance was about half
    of what it had been in years past.  (The show is a loser)

Now for some interesting tidbits......

	The UN*X box will not be introduced until next year.  The marketing
strategy goes something like this:
	"If we introduce the Unix box now we will probably not sell another MEGA
and we have lots of those around."

	The PC has to go through a redesign.  It seems that with all of the
functions that were put on the mother board, the assembly plant could not get
the insertion machines to work on the densely populated boards.

	There is a new development package for the 2600 and 7800 machines.
It consists of an assembler and rom emulator.   The system utilizes an ST.

	Other than that there is not really anything else new.  I will be able
to tell more after the annual CLAUG/Atari roast dinner.

later,

	Rich Andrews

--
Any opinions expressed are my own.  Now, for a limited time, they can be yours
too, for the incredible price of only $19.95.  Simply send $19.95 (in Alterian

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (06/09/88)

In article <592@jolnet.UUCP>, rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) writes:

> 	I really hate to do this to you all but here are the cold hard facts.
>
> 1)  This year the CES was geared strictly for games. (:<)

True

> 2)  There were no new software packages displayed for the ST line.

Not true.  I talked to several third party software suppliers and looked at
what they had new for the ST.  There is plenty new, both entertainment and
productive software.  Atari chose not to display the ST to any extent, probably
because they are emphasizing the ST at COMDEX now.  I was disappointed that
there was no display of software or hardware for the 8bit computer line,
though.  No really good reason was given either.  A lame excuse, such as "we
tend to alternate, one year emphiasing computers and next year the game sytems".
This isn't true, because I have been at the CES for the last several years and
the computers have always been a part of the show.

> 3)  As of Sunday, the second day of the show, the attendance was about half
>     of what it had been in years past.  (The show is a loser)

Maybe, but Saturday was pretty crowded and Monday was also plenty busy for a
Monday at the CES.  I do think that more of exhibiters are choosing other shows
to highlight their wares.  The movie software companies had a very small showing
except for the "blue" movies.  They are using a Video show as their vehicle of
choice.

> 	Other than that there is not really anything else new.  I will be able
> to tell more after the annual CLAUG/Atari roast dinner.

Yes, please do.  I was unable to attend and there is usually more computer
specific information talked about there.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes