[comp.sys.atari.8bit] modem connections

SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET ("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") (06/06/88)

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to plug a modem into the handset cord on a
telephone? I'm asking this because the modular phone in my new dorm room is
hard-wired into the wall. Arrrghhhh. (No, I can't ask them to re-wire it.
You're not supposed to have computers on the phone line in a multi-occupant
room. Everybody does it anyhow, at least in the dorms with jacks instead
of hardwired phones. Arrrghhhh, again!)

weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) (06/07/88)

In article <8806061433.AA02931@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET ("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
>Can anyone tell me if it's OK to plug a modem into the handset cord on a
>telephone?

Only if the modem specifically wants it that way.  Usually modems (like the
Atari 1030, XM301 and SX212 and nearly all Hayes-compatible modems) want a
line-in from the modular plug (RJ-11) that you are familiar with from home,
perhaps.  Dire circumstances may await your modem if it wants a line-in.
Some older modems worked via the handset cord (in a way similar to the old
acoustic couplers) but most simply want the line-in.

>I'm asking this because the modular phone in my new dorm room is
>hard-wired into the wall. Arrrghhhh. (No, I can't ask them to re-wire it.
>You're not supposed to have computers on the phone line in a multi-occupant
>room.

True, but you can go ahead and wire in a modular plug anyway--if you are
willing to accept the consequences of the dorm staff finding out and/or
the telco.  Actually, depending upon what phone you have, you can install/
deinstall your contraband modular plug without them knowing about it!

If you are interested further, drop me a line describing the phone you
have and the particular installation of the phone.

>Everybody does it anyhow, at least in the dorms with jacks instead
>of hardwired phones. Arrrghhhh, again!)

I did, but then OSU installed phones with extra modular jacks :-)

DISCLAIMER:  My views represent me and not those of OSU, the OSU Residence
and Dining Halls nor the OSU College of Business; nor the views of any of
the Communist governments of the Warsaw Pact.  (Which are similar to all the
above.)

--
Andrew Weaver             |  weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
OSU College of Business   |  ...ihnp4!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!weaver

SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET ("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") (06/07/88)

Does anyone have a non-permanently-damaging way of connecting a modem to
a telephone that's hardwired to the telephone line?
The telephone is modular; there's just no jack.
Is plugging the modem into the handset cord safe?

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (06/09/88)

In article <8806062023.AA09302@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET ("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
> Does anyone have a non-permanently-damaging way of connecting a modem to
> a telephone that's hardwired to the telephone line?

I have seen at least two ways to handle this problem.  If you have a standard
round mouthpiece (removable) on the phone, you can get a device that replaces
the mouthpiece and has a modular phone jack built-in.

The other way is a device that Radio Shack sells that slips over the earpiece
and the mouthpiece and basically converts your direct connect modem into an
acoustical modem.  It costs $49.95 according to the 1988 catalog.

> Is plugging the modem into the handset cord safe?

I don't believe that it will work.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (06/11/88)

In article <8806062023.AA09302@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET ("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
> Does anyone have a non-permanently-damaging way of connecting a modem to
> a telephone that's hardwired to the telephone line?
> The telephone is modular; there's just no jack.
> Is plugging the modem into the handset cord safe?

The easiest way is to purchase a cable with a modular plug on one end and
half-moon shaped connectors on the other.

Open up the phone housing by loosening the screws, then loosen the screws
for the red and green wires.  Attach the red and green wires on your cable,
and screw the case back together.  You'll end up with a wire coming out of
some part of the case, which you plug into the modem.

Usually red goes to red and green to green, but sometimes you need to
swap them.

This is what I do when I'm on the road in a non-modular hotel room.

--->Neil
--
Neil Harris, Director of Sales & Marketing -- East and Midwest Regions

UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS, BIX: neilharris, CIS: 70007,1135, Office: 408-745-2160