------------------------------
Date:         Thu, 9 Jun 88 10:19:31 PDT
Sender:       INFO-ATARI8 Discussion <INFO-A8@CANADA01>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was
              Info-Atari8-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <Info-Atari8@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V88 #62
To:           TODD KRISSEL <VY9125@BINGVAXA>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Thursday, June  9, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 62

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                     DOS and BASIC modifications
                            Re: AMAC bugs?
                            Re: AMAC bugs?

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 88 18:17 EDT
From: "Jim Shaffer, Jr." <SHAFFERJ%BKNLVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: DOS and BASIC modifications
To: info-atari8@score.STANFORD.EDU

1) Does anyone know where the bytes that contain the maximum and minumum
   ATASCII values for filenames are in DOS 2.5? I found the DOS 2.0S locations
   in "Mapping The Atari", but they apparently aren't the same in DOS 2.5.
   (If anyone should want the DOS 2.0S locations, or the location of the
   wildcard character, for any reason, just let me know.)
2) To go along with my planned lower-case copy of DOS, I'm hoping to convert
   Atari BASIC to lowercase. I know where all the token tables are, but
   I need to know how to make a file that will load and run properly. The
   main thing I need to know is how to make the system think that there
   is a cartridge installed and not overwrite my RAM copy of BASIC. Is this
   possible?
3) A bit of weird trivia: I've been told that it is possible to load DUP.SYS
   into AtariWriter and change the menu to anything you want. AtariWriter
   will allegedly not destroy the non-ASCII characters in the remainder
   of the file.

|  James M. Shaffer, Jr.   | Bitnet: shafferj@bknlvms                         |
|  P.O. Box C-2658         | Internet: shafferj%bknlvms.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu|
|  Bucknell University     | CIS: 72750,2335                                  |
|  Lewisburg, PA USA 17837 | telephone: unreliable                            |
| "He's old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it;    |
|  He's noble enough to win the world but fool enough to lose it."            |
|                                   -- Rush, "New World Man", on _Signals_    |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 88 11:48:10 EDT
From: Ravi Subrahmanyan <ravi@mcnc.org>
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

From Mailer@Score.Stanford.EDU  Mon Jun  6 09:55:31 1988
Date: Mon 6 Jun 88 06:54:31-PDT
From: The Mailer Daemon <Mailer@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: info-atari8-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Message of 6-Jun-88 06:54:26

Date: 6 Jun 88 00:04:59 GMT
From: pyramid!prls!philabs!ttidca!woodside@decwrl.dec.com  (George Woodside)
Subject: Re: Atari Letter-quality Printer
Sender: info-atari8-request@score.stanford.edu
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <1907@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
...[edited]...
>I saw a few of the atari letter quality printers selling
>for $79.99!!  Needless to say, it took me about 3 seconds to decide to
>buy one.
>
>My question is, where do I find the replacement little ink things?

Atari advertises in every issue of Atari Explorer. They currently list
ink rollers as "in stock".

FC100626 Ink Rollers                    $  3.95
         5 Ink rollers for              $ 10.00

California residents add 7% sales tax.
S & H - under $50.00, add $ 3.50
        over  $50.00, add $ 5.00
        over $100.00, add $ 7.00
        outside USA   add $10.00

Order from Atari ST, Dept. M9
           P. O. Box 61657
           Sunnyvale, Ca. 94088

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA
-------

From Mailer@Score.Stanford.EDU  Mon Jun  6 11:29:53 1988
Date: Mon 6 Jun 88 08:29:17-PDT
From: The Mailer Daemon <Mailer@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: info-atari8-request@Score.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Message of 6-Jun-88 08:29:14

Date: 6 Jun 88 05:12:59 GMT
From: killer!netsys!cucstud!c3pe!c3engr!charles@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Charles
 Green)
Subject: Do you like smooth scrolling?
Sender: info-atari8-request@score.stanford.edu
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

I have taken the VT52 emulator written in Action! and posted here a year or so
ago and modified it as follows:

1) Added XON/XOFF flow control due to overruns at 1200 bps.

2) Modified the display code to use the display list to scroll the screen and
insert/delete lines for much greater speed (and making 1) above unneeded...).

3) Changed the emulation to Televideo 925 for some obscure reason that escapes
me at the moment.

I intend to post the finished product in the not-too-distant future, but I was
contemplating adding one more feature:  smooth scrolling.  Those four-pixel-
wide characters are hard to read with jump scrolling, but since some folks may
not like it, I thought I'd ask whether the folks out there looking for an 80-
column emulator would want it to have this feature or not.

Please E-mail your responses and I'll summarize.  Thanks.
--
#ident    "@(#).signature    1.5 :~charles/s..signature 04/27/88 21:40:43"
TwoBitNet: 460 Herndon Pkwy, Herndon, VA 22091-1928    UUCP:decuac!c3*!charles

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 88 16:22:48 GMT
From: spdcc!merk!alliant!lackey@husc6.harvard.edu  (Stan Lackey)
Subject: Re: AMAC bugs?
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <8806061304.AA01588@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET
("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
>... serious bugs in the Atari Macro Assembler ...

I have used it quite a bit.  I have been a macro hacker since PDP-11's, and
when I found the assembler cheap, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Anyway, I have found two bugs.

1. There is something wrong with page control.  I have not been able to find
a fix.  On my printer anyway, it makes pages too big - larger than a standard
sheet.  As I say, this may be an artifact of my printer (the little thermal
printer over-produced for the PCjr.)

2. There were cases where it would not accept a macro name that followed
a label - it would try to match it to a 6502 mneumonic.  Putting a colon
after each label made this one go away.

The only other "bug" that annoys me is that it doesn't run under SpartaDOS.
I suspect that this is due to INCLUDE's - my guess is that the assembler
does something funny to allow it to have MANY files open, so that INCLUDE's
can be many levels deep.  I suppose this can be tested by assembling a source
that has no INCLUDE's, and seeing if it works.  This is no good for me as
a fix, because I have standard macro- and system definition- files, and also
my editor can only handle text files that are under 16K in size.

If&when Atari comes out with an OS that supports the XF551, I shouldn't need
SpartaDOS anymore and this problem will fix itself.

Speaking about dying and going to heaven... has anyone tried the new cartridge-
based SpartaDOS?  I understand it is huge, and turns itself on and off to
give the user more RAM, while providing much more functionality.  What's the
deal?

-Stan

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 88 15:36:21 GMT
From: gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.edu  (Gary D Duzan)
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <1917@alliant.Alliant.COM> lackey@alliant.UUCP (Stan Lackey) writes:

>Speaking about dying and going to heaven... has anyone tried the new cartridge-
>based SpartaDOS?  I understand it is huge, and turns itself on and off to
>give the user more RAM, while providing much more functionality.  What's the
>deal?

   I have been interested in SpartaDOS X for a long time. I called both the
ICD order line and their BBS yesterday. The X cart. is NOT released yet, but
is expected at any time. One point to note for those who read the SpartaDOS
technical specs: the X will no longer use the vectors under the OS. I heard
mention that there would be a translator for those programs that need them.
This will probably make it compatable with Turbo Basic XL and other programs
that use the OS RAM space.
   As far as the bank selecting in the cart., it must be pretty complex to
handle banking 64k ROM as well as switching in the piggybacked cart.
   I will probably pick up the X as soon as it is completed. Unfortunately,
by that time, my account here will expire. I should be back in the fall to
report on the plusses and minusses (sp?) of this new product.

                       Gary Duzan
                       Time  Lord
                                       Third Regeneration
                                    Atari Enthusiast Extreme

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari8 Digest
**************************
-------

POSTMASTER@BINGVAXA.BITNET (06/15/88)

Your mail is being returned to you.
Reason for return is:
%MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening USERDISK0:[USER]MAIL.MAI; as output
-SYSTEM-F-IVDEVNAM, invalid device name
Returned mail follows:
------------------------------
Date:         Tue, 14 Jun 88 20:23:56 PDT
Sender:       INFO-ATARI8 Discussion <INFO-A8@CANADA01>
From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <Info-Atari8@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V88 #63
To:           TODD KRISSEL <VY9125@BINGVAXA>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Tuesday, June 14, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 63

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        Re: modem connections
                          OMNIVIEW vs. eyes
                            Re: AMAC bugs?
                       DUP.SYS and Atariwriter
                           PD disassemblers

Date: 9 Jun 88 13:30:26 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Kit Kimes)
Subject: Re: modem connections
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <8806062023.AA09302@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET
("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
> Does anyone have a non-permanently-damaging way of connecting a modem to
> a telephone that's hardwired to the telephone line?

I have seen at least two ways to handle this problem.  If you have a standard
round mouthpiece (removable) on the phone, you can get a device that replaces
the mouthpiece and has a modular phone jack built-in.

The other way is a device that Radio Shack sells that slips over the earpiece
and the mouthpiece and basically converts your direct connect modem into an
acoustical modem.  It costs $49.95 according to the 1988 catalog.

> Is plugging the modem into the handset cord safe?

I don't believe that it will work.

                    Kit Kimes
                    AT&T--Information Systems Labs
                    ...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 88 21:40:30 EDT
From: melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik)
To: INFO-ATARI8@score.stanford.edu

Dear Moderator:

Please add my name to your mailing list. And please send any INTRO files
you may have about the system.

Thanx in advance,
Ofer Melnik

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 88 22:40:16 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpm!njd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (DiMasi)
Subject: OMNIVIEW vs. eyes
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

I have a few of questions to ask of anyone out there who uses OMNIVIEW:

1) Does OMNIVIEW's 80-column display cause you significant (to you) eyestrain?
   (In my case, it usually does not.)

2) If the answer to (1) is "Yes," has it been enough to stop you from using
   OMNIVIEW?

3) If you have seen the XEP-80's display, is it a lot better, or only
   marginally better?

4) Do you plan to switch to using an XEP-80 someday?

I am asking these questions because I got into a discussion with Matt Ratcliff
on DELPHI about OMNIVIEW and the XEP-80, and I wanted to know how you all
feel about it.

Nick DiMasi
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 88 04:06:11 GMT
From: osu-cis!att!mtunx!mtune!icus!limbic!gil@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Gil
 Kloepfer Jr.)
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <8806061516.AA03720@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SHAFFERJ@BKNLVMS.BITNET
("Jim Shaffer, Jr.") writes:
|>A while ago someone mentioned that there were some serious bugs in the
|>Atari Macro Assembler. Since I've just started using it, what are these bugs?

Ugh...it has been so long ago that I don't remember them all!!  I'll try to
recap what I can:

    1.  AMAC does NOT work under SpartaDOS.  They do something tricky
        with the I/O that most programs don't do.

    2.  I've seen symbols get "lost" somewhere when you write large
        programs.  By lost I mean they get undefined, etc.  Sorry, I
        can't elaborate further, but I do know I spent many hours
        pulling my hair out on this one.

    3.  (not a bug) Larger programs get tedious in the edit..assemble..
        run..boot.. cycle.  You need to load a separate editor, and
        AMAC itself isn't small.

Unfortunately, these are the major points I can remember.  I started using
MAC-65 and found it was MUCH easier to use than AMAC.  There are a couple
of things missing in MAC-65, but assembly time is reduced TREMENDOUSLY using
MAC-65, it works under SpartaDOS, it has a built-in editor  --  all in all
I found using MAC-65 a pleasure.  I recommend it over AMAC if at all possible.

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Computer Group, Systems Dvlp. | {boulder,ihnp4,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil|
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: limbic!gil@icus.UUCP         |

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 Jun 88 13:53 EDT
From:    "Ray C"
 <PHR140%URIMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
To:      info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: DUP.SYS and Atariwriter

    You can load the DUP.SYS file into Atariwriter and change the
  menu, I have done that before.  The only thing that you have to make
  sure of is that you don't delete or add even one single byte, or
  the system will crash!!  This is harder than it sounds, because of
  the word wrapping..  Actually, it is easier to make these changes
  with a disk editor because you don't have to worry about the word
  wrap.
                        Ray C.
   Bitnet: phr140@urimvs

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 88 19:28 EDT
From: "Jim Shaffer, Jr." <SHAFFERJ%BKNLVMS.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: PD disassemblers
To: info-atari8@score.STANFORD.EDU

What, in anyone's opinion, is the best public domain disassembler? There are
so many on CompuServe that I can't decide, and I certainly don't have time
or money enough to try them all.

Gary Duzan:  If you're still online, could you mail me another copy of
             Codebuster? I had to purge the old copy during a disk space
             crisis...

End of Info-Atari8 Digest
-------