[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Light Gun Wanted

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (06/19/88)

-----------------------

Since I know some of you guys at Atari read this newsgroup, I just
wanted to voice a request of mine to Atari Inc. :  please market
the light gun for us 8-bit computer owners. I'd love to be able to
play the new software available for the XEGS (I've heard Crossbow
is coming?...), but since I already own 2 8-bit computers, I'm
certainly not about to buy another console just to get the light gun!
Come On Atari and market the light gun seperately for people like me!

				-Ray

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (06/20/88)

In article <Jun.18.18.27.54.1988.22411@topaz.rutgers.edu>, wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

> Since I know some of you guys at Atari read this newsgroup, I just
> wanted to voice a request of mine to Atari Inc. :  please market
> the light gun for us 8-bit computer owners. I'd love to be able to
> play the new software available for the XEGS (I've heard Crossbow
> is coming?...), but since I already own 2 8-bit computers, I'm
> certainly not about to buy another console just to get the light gun!
> Come On Atari and market the light gun seperately for people like me!

I was told by someone from Atari at their booth at CES that the light gun
was already shipping and available in limited quanities.  You might want to
check with whomever you usually get hardware from.  In the meantime, below
is a list of available (or soon to be ) cartridges for the XE Game System.
These are all being released by Atari, even though several were originally
by some other company.  The only third party cartridge software that I hear
rumors of is 'California Games' from Epyx, but it wasn't announced at CES, so
it isn't on my list.  If you see any obvious errors, please let me know.
All the information came from Atari press releases and literature I picked
up.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

The following titles are now, are will shortly be, available for the XE
Game System.  They will also work in the XL/XE computer systems.  Some,
but not all, will work with the older 800 computers as well.

These titles are sorted alphabetically by name.

TITLE			CART #		COMPANY		AVAILABILITY

ACE OF ACES		RX8099		ACCOLADE		2nd Qtr
AIRBALL			RX8109					4th Qtr
ARCHON			RX8092		ELEC. ARTS		NOW
ATARI LAB LIGHT MOD.	AED80014	ATARI			NOW
ATARI LAB STARTER	AED80013	ATARI			NOW
BALLBLAZER		RX8064		LUCASFILM		NOW
BARNYARD BLASTER	RX8086		ATARI			NOW
BATTLEZONE		RX8077		ATARI			NOW
BLUE MAX		RX8081		BRODERBUND		NOW
CENTIPEDE		RX8020		ATARI			NOW
CHOPLIFTER!		RX8096		BRODERBUND		3rd Qtr
COMMANDO		RX8094		DATA EAST		3rd Qtr
CRIME BUSTERS		RX8104		ATARI			3rd Qtr
CROSSBOW		RX8088		EXIDY			3rd Qtr
CRYSTAL CASTLES		RX8102					3rd Qtr
DARK CHAMBERS		RX8101					4th Qtr
DAVID'S MIDNIGHT MAGIC	RX8083		BRODERBUND		NOW
DESERT FALCON		RX8089		ATARI			2nd Qtr
DONKEY KONG		RX8031		NINTENDO		NOW
DONKEY KONG, JR		RX8040		NINTENDO		NOW
FIGHT NIGHT		RX8085		ACCOLADE		NOW
FINAL LEGACY		RX8067		ATARI			NOW
FOOD FIGHT		RX8079		ATARI			NOW
GATO			RX8090		SPECTRUM HLOLBYTE	2nd Qtr
HARDBALL		RX8084		ACCOLADE		NOW
INTO THE EAGLE'S NEST	RX8114		PANDORA			3rd Qtr
JINKS			RX8112					4th Qtr
JOUST			RX8044		WILLIAMS		NOW
JUNGLE HUNT		RX8049		TAITO			NOW
KARATEKA		RX8095		BRODERBUND		3nd Qtr
LODE RUNNER		RX8082		BRODERBUND		NOW
MARIO BROTHERS		RX8103					3rd Qtr
MEAN 18, ULTIMATE GOLF	RX8100		ACCOLADE		3rd Qtr
MILLIPEDE		RX8048		ATARI			NOW
MOON PATROL		RX8052		WILLIAMS		NOW
NEBULUS			RX8111					4th Qtr
NECROMANCER		RX8108					2nd Qtr
ONE-ON-ONE BASKETBALL	RX8093		ELEC. ARTS		NOW
REALSPORTS FOOTBALL	RX8029		ATARI			NOW
REALSPORTS TENNIS	RX8042		ATARI			NOW
RESCUE ON FRACTALUS	RX8063		LUCASFILM		NOW
ROBOTRON:2084		RX8033		WILLIAMS		NOW
SKYWRITER		RX8059					NOW
SPACE INVADERS		CXL4008		TAITO			NOW
STAR RAIDERS II		RX8078		ATARI			NOW
SUMMER GAMES		RX8098		EPYX			3rd Qtr
SUPER BREAKOUT		CXL4006		ATARI			NOW
THUNDERFOX		RX8113					3rd Qtr
TYPO ATTACK		RX8057		ATARI			NOW

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (06/21/88)

In article <Jun.18.18.27.54.1988.22411@topaz.rutgers.edu>, wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) writes:

> Come On Atari and market the light gun seperately for people like me!

We've been planning to do this all along.  John Skruch, the 8-bit product
manager tells me there was a hang-up in getting the boxes done, but the
product should be available imminently.  The product has just recently been
included on the latest dealer price list.

> wanted to voice a request of mine to Atari Inc. :  please market
                                             ^^^
Please, we've been Atari _Corp._ for (almost) four years.

Veteran of both Inc. and Corp,
Jim Tittsler, Systems Engineer, Atari Corp. {ames, portal,imagen}!atari!jwt

lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) (07/01/88)

>> Come On Atari and market the light gun seperately for people like me!

I am also interested in 3D glasses, and am prepared to write any assembly
code necessary to drive them.  Wouldn't stuff like battlezone or 3D breakout
be great!  I could also see a version of Basic with 3D plot/drawto
statements...

-Stan

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (07/03/88)

In article <2082@alliant.Alliant.COM>, lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:

> I am also interested in 3D glasses, and am prepared to write any assembly
> code necessary to drive them.  Wouldn't stuff like battlezone or 3D breakout
> be great!  I could also see a version of Basic with 3D plot/drawto
> statements...

Likewise!  I've been into stereo all my life, have done stereo in various forms
on computers (including a "cross-eye"-viewable stereo drawing program right h>
here on my good ol' Atari), and would *LOVE!* to have a pair of those "glasses"
to mess with!

Count me another vote in favor of marketing 'em separately!

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP