[comp.sys.atari.8bit] New cartridges

ajb@cornea.mitre.ORG (06/21/88)

Since it appears that Neil Harris is still listening to our discussions,
I will repost the question that as yet remains officially
unanswered. Neil, if you're out there, how about an answer !!!

What all of us out here with older machines (e.g. 800) want to know is:
Which machines will successfully run the new xe-game cartridges.
For instance can I run ball-blazer on my 800 ?
Can I run it on my 600 with only 16k ram ?

Alan Broder
ajb@mitre.arpa

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (06/23/88)

In article <8806211251.AA18976@retina>, ajb@cornea.mitre.ORG writes:

> What all of us out here with older machines (e.g. 800) want to know is:
> Which machines will successfully run the new xe-game cartridges.
> For instance can I run ball-blazer on my 800 ?
Yes.

Here is our current list of which XE supercarts will or will not work on an
old 800.

WILL work on 800          Will NOT work
----------------          -------------
BATTLEZONE                LODE RUNNER
STAR RAIDERS II           FLIGHT SIMULATOR II
BUG HUNT                  MIDNIGHT MAGIC
BLUE MAX                  FOOD FIGHT
ARCHON                    HARDBALL
BARNYARD BLASTER          FIGHT NIGHT
RESCUE ON FRACTALUS       ONE-ON-ONE
BALLBLAZER
NECROMANCER
DESERT FALCON

> Can I run it on my 600 with only 16k ram ?
No.  The goal is to provide the best games possible, for the widest range of
machines practical.  The large numbers of XL/XE machines out there mean they
are the best targets for game development, with 800 support a worthwhile
goal if it does not unduly compromise the game.

Jim Tittsler, Systems Engineer, Atari Corp.  {portal, ames}!atari!jwt

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (06/28/88)

In article <8806211251.AA18976@retina>, ajb@cornea.mitre.ORG writes:
> Since it appears that Neil Harris is still listening to our discussions,
> I will repost the question that as yet remains officially
> unanswered. Neil, if you're out there, how about an answer !!!
>
> What all of us out here with older machines (e.g. 800) want to know is:
> Which machines will successfully run the new xe-game cartridges.
> For instance can I run ball-blazer on my 800 ?
> Can I run it on my 600 with only 16k ram ?

I tried to reply by mail but got bounced by the friendly daemon.  Here goes:

I am not online here very often.  Many other things going on, and the
engineering group seems to be offering good support here these days.

Carts that are 800-compatible are Battlezone, Star Raiders II, Bug Hunt,
Blue Max, Archon.

Ones that will NOT work are Lode Runner, Flight Simulator II, and Midnight
Magic.

The above information covers the first release of carts only.  I will see if
we can get you an update on more recent releases.

Also, we list the system requirements on the cart's box.  If it lists the
800, it is compatible.  If the 800 is NOT listed, it is NOT compatible.

--->Neil
--
Neil Harris, Director of Sales & Marketing -- East and Midwest Regions

UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS, BIX: neilharris, CIS: 70007,1135, Office: 408-745-2160

anderson@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (G.Anderson - Computing Services) (07/08/88)

Is there a modem program that will allow the use of the joystick ports to
connect to a modem?