[comp.sys.atari.8bit] digitizing...

python@pnet01.cts.com (Greg Scribner) (07/29/88)

   Latetly, i have been trying to create a digitizing program that uses the
pots as input. But, I cannot seem to locate a way to output the stored data
to the T.V. speaker
and would appreciate if someone could illustrate how. Also, there was a
 program a couple of years back for digitizing sound in Analog or Antic and
was wandering if anybody could tell me the magizine title and issue number.

                 thanks in advanced,
                       Greg Scribner

PHR140@URIMVS.BITNET ("Ray Courtois") (08/02/88)

   The only way that I can think of to get the digitized sound
to come out of the tv speaker is to hook a d/a converter up to the
joystick ports (set up the pia for output) and hook the output of the
d/a converter to the audio input on the serial cable (pin 11, I think).
   Alternatly, you could try to use the data to drive the amplitude of
one of the sound chanels, if you know the aproximate frequency of the
sound you are tring to digitize.  This would only work if the frequency
of the sound does not change much..
   I had tried to digitize sound through the pot inputs once before, but
it never worked quite right.  Where did you see the article that said
how to do it??  I would be interested in reading it..

                         Ray Courtois

  Bitnet:   PHR140@URIMVS

maverick@cl2devy.SGI.COM (Steve Whitney) (08/02/88)

I haven't played with sound stuff in awhile, but as I recall, you can
output sound using "noise only" through POKEY.  When you use noise only,
the volume bits determine the position of the TV speaker directly.  I'm
pretty sure you could play digitized sound this way if it has enough
bits of precision for you...  Now that I think of it, it's called "volume
only."  You just have to set a bit in AUDCTL.

Steve Whitney (I have no signature file yet...  maybe someday.)

python@pnet01.cts.com (Greg Scribner) (08/02/88)

   The article was in and old Analog or Antic that my friend had. However,
 when I wanted to borrow the article from him recently, he could not locate
it.
    The program that went with the article supposedly let you digitize sounds
through a microphone, hooked up to the joystick port, and then allow the sound
to be played through the T.V. speaker.
   Anyway, how much do 8-bit d/a's go for these days, or would it be more
economical to by the Parrot II from Alpha systems?

               thanks,
                  Greg Scribner

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (08/03/88)

In article <18300@sgi.SGI.COM>, maverick@cl2devy.SGI.COM (Steve Whitney) writes:

> I haven't played with sound stuff in awhile, but as I recall, you can
> output sound using [volume only] through POKEY.  When you use noise only,
> the volume bits determine the position of the TV speaker directly.  I'm
> pretty sure you could play digitized sound this way if it has enough
> bits of precision for you...
>
> Steve Whitney (I have no signature file yet...  maybe someday.)

Yes, Steve, it CAN be done, and HAS in fact been done.  I have several pro-
grams on my 800 that play snatches of digitized music through the TV (monitor)
speaker: the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" (sic), and Huey Lewis' "Back In Time",
to name just two.  The resolution is pretty limited (a scale of 0-15), which
results in severe audio "clipping" (i.e. non-linearity, i.e. "staticky" or
"noisy" sound), but there's no difficulty in identifying what is being played.

I, too, would be interested in a reference to the magazine article that inspi-
red the original poster; i.e. if I can digitize at home with simple electronic
components, I'd love to know how!
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (08/04/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / python@pnet01.cts.com (Greg Scribner) / 12:57 am  Jul 29, 1988 /

>   Latetly, i have been trying to create a digitizing program that uses the
>pots as input. But, I cannot seem to locate a way to output the stored data
>to the T.V. speaker
>and would appreciate if someone could illustrate how. Also, there was a
> program a couple of years back for digitizing sound in Analog or Antic and
>was wandering if anybody could tell me the magizine title and issue number.
>
>                 thanks in advanced,
>                       Greg Scribner

This is all from the top of my head, but what you are looking for is the
volume only bit in the audio control registers.  It lets you specify 3(4?)
bits of D/A resolution.  The A/D converters used with the paddles provide
8 bits of resolution, and their fastest conversion time is 2 scan lines.

Of course, if you don't have "Mapping the Atari", and the Atari Tech Notes,
you should get them immediately.  De Re Atari is also very worhtwhile.

Good luck.  If you need more information, you can reach me at:
     ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com

Kenneth Sumrall