[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 3D Stars Demo

brett@pigpen (Brett S Bourbin) (08/05/88)

I wrote an article for ANALOG a few months back, about a 3D starts program
that make a display something like the Star Trek opening scene with stars
flying at you.  Well, to make a long story short, they said that this type
of article would not appeal to a large number of their readers, and sent it
back.

What is the policy for posting source code, (it is in assembly language and
is very small) and binaries (even smaller  8^) ) to the 8 bit net?  I would
be happy to release it into the public domain and at least let people see it.

BTW - was ANALOG right?  Is this a topic which would not interest 8bitters?

- Brett
 __  __   _  __  _
|  ||  | / ||  || \   Brett S Bourbin
|  ||  ||  ||  ||  |  INTERNET: brett@PIGPEN.UMD.EDU
|  ||  ||  ||  ||  |
 \_||_/ |__||__||__|  Instructional Computing Programs
     College Park

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (08/05/88)

In article <2967@umd5.umd.edu>, brett@pigpen (Brett S Bourbin) writes:

> I wrote an article for ANALOG a few months back, about a 3D starts program
> that make a display something like the Star Trek opening scene with stars
> flying at you.  Well, to make a long story short, they said that this type
> of article would not appeal to a large number of their readers, and sent it
> back.

In words of one syllable "F*ck 'em."  ANALOG obviously has their collective
head inserted in a difficult-to-reach anatomical orifice.

In other words, *I* would like to see it, as will probably every other
"Atarian" in this area.  My friend, reading over my shoulder, confirms HIS
agreement...

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

davodd@bsu-cs.UUCP (Brad Majors) (08/07/88)

I can barely stand ANALOG anymore.  Especially since the mag
got bought out by Mr.
porno himself, Larry Flint.  ick.

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (08/08/88)

    Date: 5 Aug 88 04:31:21 GMT
    From: bsu-cs!cfchiesa@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  (Christopher Chiesa)
[...]
    In other words, *I* would like to see it, as will probably every other
    "Atarian" in this area.  My friend, reading over my shoulder, confirms HIS
    agreement...

Me too.  Please post it.

dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) (08/09/88)

In article <2967@umd5.umd.edu> brett@pigpen.UMD.EDU (Brett S Bourbin) writes:

>I wrote an article for ANALOG a few months back, about a 3D starts program
>that make a display something like the Star Trek opening scene with stars
>flying at you.  Well, to make a long story short, they said that this type
>of article would not appeal to a large number of their readers, and sent it
>back.

When I first subscribed to ANALOG, way back when, they had very good technical
articles of all kinds.  Even the games gave you good insight into the workings
of the machine, as they always published the source.  Writers like Tom Hudson,
Brian Moriarty, Kyle Peacock, and others who I cannot think of offhand really
gave the magazine a lot of technical depth.  When those people left, the people
who took over did not seem interested in anything but adventure games, BASIC
versions of old board games, and gossip.  As a result, I let my subscription
lapse about 2 years ago.  I have not seen anything in that time to make me
regret my decision.

My advice to you is to submit it to ANTIC.  I sent ANALOG a Dvorak keyboard
handler program about 3 years ago.  They rejected it, saying it was "too
technical and would not appeal to our readers."  I then published it in our
local newsletter.  Well, it got reprinted in some other newsletters, which
flattered me, and then ANTIC saw it and asked me to submit it to them (!).
I did, and it got published in April of '87.  I'm not saying this to brag,
I'm just showing that what might be worthless to some people might be worth
enough to others that they will come looking for it.

Of course, given ANTIC's overly-protective redistribution policies, it might
be better for us if you posted it.  Then again, ANTIC pays better ...  :-)

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221

ss6349@leah.Albany.Edu (Steven H Schimmrich) (08/09/88)

In article <19880808163853.3.JRD@MOA.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>, jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) writes:

>     Date: 5 Aug 88 04:31:21 GMT
>     From: bsu-cs!cfchiesa@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu  (Christopher Chiesa)
> [...]
>     In other words, *I* would like to see it, as will probably every other
>     "Atarian" in this area.  My friend, reading over my shoulder, confirms HIS
>     agreement...
>
> Me too.  Please post it.

I would also love to see this......

--
 | Internet : SS6349@leah.albany.edu       |  The views expressed above  |
 | Steven H. Schimmrich                    |  are not necessarily those  |