[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Game Design Books

ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) (08/14/88)

After just reading a second hand copy of "The Art of Computer Game Design,
Reflections of a Master Game Designer" by Chris Crawford, I wonder are there any
other books of this type out there?

Most of this book was extremely dated to the 1984 video game market. However,
a couple of the chapters in the middle were quite informative. Chapter 5,
"Design Techniques and Ideals", discusses what Chris Crawford considers
critical design principles in designing computer games.

Throughout the book he discusses his greatest software releases. I purchased
and play "Eastern Front", but what is this "Excalibur", "Legionnaire" and
"Gossip"? Are these titles something I should look for or weren't they worth a
look?

					Ray Hill
					ray@madnix
--
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!nicmad!madnix!ray
                        {decvax|att}!

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (08/15/88)

+-In article <249@madnix.UUCP>, ray@madnix.UUCP (Ray P. Hill) wrote:-

| After just reading a second hand copy of "The Art of Computer Game Design,
| Reflections of a Master Game Designer" by Chris Crawford, I wonder are there

+----------
  A.K.A. "Reflections of a God"... he has an ego larger than, oh, Mr. T.
+----------

| Throughout the book he discusses his greatest software releases. I purchased
| and play "Eastern Front", but what is this "Excalibur", "Legionnaire" and
| "Gossip"? Are these titles something I should look for or weren't they worth a
| look?
|
| 					Ray Hill
| 					ray@madnix

+----------

  As you commented (edited out) about how the book was dated, yes, so are the
games.  Excalibur was released not by Atari, but by that same company that
destributed the sequel to Caverns of Mars and Karnov's (wrong name, and no
it's not Pavlov's, it's some canine pun name) Dogs (the company that distributed
Atari games that people wrote but no one else would sell).  Gossip was never
finished to my knowlege (and would not have had much of an audience had it been
released) and I've never heard of Legionnaire; though even now that I have I'm
not terribly excited about it.

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   BITNET: lupin3@ucscb@ucscc.BITNET
MetaWare Inc.  Durable Software, Constructed Automatically     "Not much fun in
Disclaimer:[MetaWare, UCSC]->opinion != lhastings->opinion      Stalingrad, no."

sale5312@fredonia.UUCP (Marty Saletta) (08/16/88)

  Ray P. Hill writes:

> After just reading a second hand copy of "The Art of Computer Game Design,
> Reflections of a Game Designer" by Chris Crawford, I wonder are there any
> other books of this type out there?

  Yes,and by Crawford himself.  You might want to check out his book called
 "Balance of Power" (from Microsoft Press).  This is mainly about the
 game for the Macintosh and Atari ST,but I found the book interesting about
 learning how he designed the game and other "background information".
 Crawford has made many games I've enjoyed and I miss them since I don't
 have a disk drive anymore.

> Throughout the book he discusses his greatest software releases. I purchased
> and play "Eastern Front", but what is this "Excalibur", "Legionnaire" and
> "Gossip"? Are these titles something I should look for or weren't they worth a
> look?

  I also have Easter Front and find that a very enjoyable game.  So much so
 that after I sold my 8-bit system two years ago (130XE),I got a 600XL just
 so I could play that game soon after.

  Excalibur is the only game I've played from the list above,and let me say
 that it took me over two years to find that one.  I finally found it when
 Atari was sold to Jack Tramiel when he ran those "Atari Extravaganza" ads
 in the Explorer magazine for $9.95.  This game is fantastic!  I just wish
 I could play it!  I haven't been able to play it in two years,since all I've
 got is that 16K 600.  I just waiting for the "right price" when I can get
 another 8-bit again.

   Excalibur is the most complex game I've seen for the 8-bit Atari.  It
 comes with a novel to help the user understand the background of the game.
 The object is to have you (King Arthur) rule Camelot and keep the peace
 while expanding your nation.  I wish I could do this game justice with a
 better review,but since I haven't played it in over two years,I cannot.
 If role playing games are your style,this one's a goodie.

  For a sample of the game,here's the different rooms involved with game play:

  (from the manual :-} )

  1) Round Table Room - where each knight is shown and ranked as to loyalty
     to see who's on "your side".
  2) Throne Room - get news about Britain,Attack another king,or pay a
     tribute to a King.
  3) Treasury Room - see the levels of Wealth,Tax,Army,Tithes,and average
     military experience of your men.
  4) Merlin's Room - used to cast spells,and "See" (Merlin puts you in disguise
     as another King to see their castle as you would see yours- handy to
     see their strength).  Plague,Pestilence (kill the crops of another King),
     and Change (make another King like you more- only temporarily).  Each
     spell or action makes Merlin weak,and he goes away for a while to
     recooperate.
  5) Trap Room - You are put here when another King attacks you-has the info
     you need to fight.
  6) Britain (map of Kingdoms) - Battle Kings,see other territories,and place
     spells here.
  7) Battle - Much like Eastern Front.

  The graphics were the best I'd seen for the 8-bit (Old English text too),and I
 don't think they've been topped yet (overall- not just a good title screen).
 The game reminded me of the movie of the same name,which I also liked.  Good
 luck in finding this one!

   BTW,It was originally published by the Atari Program Exchange (APX).
 Remember them??

--
 /    /  |\ |  /    / |  /   :   Marty Saletta @ Fredonia,NY----------
/ __ /__ | \| /__  /  | /    :   Atari ST,vegetarian,New York Yankees,

paul@geacsw.UUCP (Paul Gooderham) (08/17/88)

>After just reading a second hand copy of "The Art of Computer Game Design,
>Reflections of a Master Game Designer" by Chris Crawford, I wonder are there
> any
>other books of this type out there?

Sounds like an interesting read.  I read a magazine article describing the
creation of "Eastern Front: 1941" and found it fascinating.  It was in one
of the "standard" computer magazines like _Antic_ or _Creative_Computing_.

>Throughout the book he discusses his greatest software releases. I purchased
>and play "Eastern Front", but what is this "Excalibur", "Legionnaire" and
>"Gossip"? Are these titles something I should look for or weren't they worth
>look?

I purchased "Legionnaire" on a cassette released by "Avalon Hill,
Microcomputer Games Division" and transferred it to disk quite easily.  I
like the game, but not as much as I like "Eastern Front".  The mechanics are
similar, but "Legionnaire" requires more arcade skill.  The enemy keeps
moving as you enter your commands.  Although the colours are a bit drab, the
graphics are quite impressive.  Definitely worth a look.