[comp.sys.atari.8bit] XF551 Disk drive

"Hugh_E._Wells.ElSegundo"@XEROX.COM (08/16/88)

8/15/88

Has anyone experienced the XF551 drive going to sleep?  I'm aware of two drives
that periodically fail to respond to the normal boot process.  The SLEEP
syndrome is not like the one exhibited by the old 810 drive which went to sleep
in the middle of an operation.

These drives are attached to different systems and operated by different people.
Once booted, the drives continue to perform normally.  Only the start-up boot
is in question.  The XF551's are attached to 800XL's.

I'm trying to determine the following:

1.  Whether the XF551 design has a problem.

2.  How frequent does the problem occur?

3.  How it can be circumvented, or how to get the drive to respond while it is
asleep?  Multiple re-boot cycles are usually required for a start when the drive
is acting up.

4.  Any fixes that may have been developed to correct the problem.

5.  Is there a known problem with the 800XL enable voltage level being in the
TTL marginal logic voltage band?

6.  I would also like to obtain a schematic set for the XF551.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Hugh

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (08/24/88)

I have an XF551 (which I am very pleased with, folks. When you get used to
IBM / TRS drive quality) and it has exhibited a similar behavior.

Using SpartaDOS to create a double-sided disk, I have noted thatyou have to
"teach" the XF551 to recognize double-sided mode after it's been turned on.
When you first power the drive on, it will not recognize double-sided boot
disks. If you boot under the appropriate dos, however, and then READ from
a double-sided disk, the drive "realizes" that it's double-sided. You can
then turn off the computer, disconnect lines, etc. and still be able to
boot from DSDD disks.

My solution? My XF551 has been on now for oh, a month or two? That's ok,
my TRS Mod I that runs the Club BBS has been on 8 -years-!

Still, I find this distressing. It may have been on purpose, however, as
some mutant software perhaps was found checking for a double sided drive?

A little news from Atari Eng. group on this would be appreciated.

Terry Conklin
ihnp4!frith!conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
The Club (517) 372-3131   3/12/24

lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) (08/24/88)

In article <11045@eecae.UUCP> conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:

>I have an XF551 (which I am very pleased with, folks. When you get used to
>IBM / TRS drive quality) and it has exhibited a similar behavior.
>
>Using SpartaDOS to create a double-sided disk, I have noted thatyou have to
>"teach" the XF551 to recognize double-sided mode after it's been turned on.

I don't think I have had this problem, but perhaps a similar one.  I use
SpartaDOS so I can use the XF551 in DSDD mode.  I find that when I first
turn [my 65XE] on, it attempts to boot, and after a few seconds it stops.
Then I press RESET and it usually boots OK.  Sometimes it just goes into
BASIC though and I have to repeat the process.  Do I just have something set
up wrong?

Also - Atari in 3D!  I have seen the Sega 3D glasses (for anyone who doesn't
know, they use a liquid crystal shutter on each eye, that alternately open
and close to allow each eye to see only those frames intended for it.  The
effect really does work, and rather well!) available at toy stores like
KayBee and Toys R Us for $60.  Do you think people would be willing to
pay say $25 for a widget to connect them to the Atari, if it included a full
set of instructions to programming them?  I might also do a set of utilities
to set up the display lists and VBI stuff, and do point, vector, and surface
graphics in 3D.

Number 3.  Has anyone attempted to connect a Commodore mouse to the Atari?
I use the Atari trak-ball for this purpose, but it seems a mouse might be
better.

Number 4.  Back to Sega.  Suppose my widget had an orifice for connecting
the Sega lightgun to the Atari, doing the rewiring internally.  I assume
it would be programmed using the light pen facilities already in the Atari.
How many lines does the light pen use?  I ask because I need one of the port
wires to control the glasses.

Fun, fun!  -Stan

dragon@olivej.atc.OLIVETTI.COM (,53-F,2338,4089963867) (08/25/88)

In article <11045@eecae.UUCP>, conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:

> Using SpartaDOS to create a double-sided disk, I have noted thatyou have to
> "teach" the XF551 to recognize double-sided mode after it's been turned on.
> When you first power the drive on, it will not recognize double-sided boot
> disks. If you boot under the appropriate dos, however, and then READ from
> a double-sided disk, the drive "realizes" that it's double-sided. You can
> then turn off the computer, disconnect lines, etc. and still be able to
> boot from DSDD disks.

My solution?  I put a DS disk (formatted w/SpartaDOS) in the drive, then
turn on the computer.  I get greeted with the familer "No Dos" message,
then turn off the computer and on again (leaving the drive on) and it boots
up fine.  Seems it "learns" about the DS on its first spin up.

No problems otherwise, and it works great with my ST too (and matches the
case!)

--Dean

----
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.              |     |  _____|    |    |
Cupertino, CA 95014                    |_____| |_____|    |__  |_____

'Dancing, screaming, itching, squealing, fevered feeling hot Hot HOT!'

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (08/25/88)

|> Using SpartaDOS to create a double-sided disk, I have noted thatyou have to
|> "teach" the XF551 to recognize double-sided mode after it's been turned on.
|> When you first power the drive on, it will not recognize double-sided boot
|> disks. If you boot under the appropriate dos, however, and then READ from
|> a double-sided disk, the drive "realizes" that it's double-sided. You can
|> then turn off the computer, disconnect lines, etc. and still be able to
|> boot from DSDD disks.
|

| My solution?  I put a DS disk (formatted w/SpartaDOS) in the drive, then
| turn on the computer.  I get greeted with the familer "No Dos" message,
| then turn off the computer and on again (leaving the drive on) and it boots
| up fine.  Seems it "learns" about the DS on its first spin up.

I believe that the same thing can be accomplished by merely pressing the
reset key on the XL/XE computers.  That may not work for the 800 models
though as the reset is handled slightly different.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (09/05/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / lackey@Alliant.COM (Stan Lackey) /  8:07 am  Aug 24, 1988 /
>Number 4.  Back to Sega.  Suppose my widget had an orifice for connecting
>the Sega lightgun to the Atari, doing the rewiring internally.  I assume
>it would be programmed using the light pen facilities already in the Atari.
>How many lines does the light pen use?  I ask because I need one of the port
>wires to control the glasses.
>
>Fun, fun!  -Stan

Allow me to quote from the Atari Tech Ref.

     "When any one of the joystick trigger lines (pin 6) is pulled low, the
ANTIC chip takes the current VCOUNT value and stores it in PENV.  The
horizontal color clock value (0-227 decimal) is stored in PENH.  The least
significant bit is inaccurate and should be ignored.  Since there are a
number of delays involved in displaying the data and changing the light
pen register, each system must be calibrated.  Software which uses the
light pen should contain a user-interactive calibration routine.  For
example, the user could point the light pen at a crosshair in the center
of the screen and the program could compute the required horizontal offset.
PENH will wrap around from 227 to 0 near the right hand edge of a standard
width display because of the delay.  The pen will not work if it is pointed at a
black area of the screen, since the electron beam is turned off.  It is
a good idea to read two (or more) values and average them, since the user
will probably not hold the pen perfectly steady."

End of quote.  Now, for your enjoyment pleasure, I shall add some (probably
obvious) commentary.

In addition to using the trigger line, the gun will also need to use the
power and ground lines.  There is some limit on the current draw from the
joystick, but I can't seem to find it right now.  Just exercise caution
as you hook up more things to one port.  If you really need to now, send
me e-mail, and I will try to locate the info.

Of course, someone will need to know what locations PENV and PENH and VCOUNT
and their shadows live in, so here is the list.

NAME      LOCATION       SHADOW
PENH      $D40C          $234
PENV      $D40D          $235
VCOUNT    $D40B          N/A

Good luck with the project, and let us know how it turns out.  I don't have
time to do the project myself, or I would give it a shot.

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken