[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Homepack & termcaps

hauck@limbo.uucp (Scott Hauck) (09/15/88)

	I'm trying to use HOMETERM, part of HOMEPACK, to communicate with
several Unix-based machines and failing mserably.  The problem is that while
HOMETERM emulates vidtex (a program in most termcap files), it displays 38
columns instead of 40 and 20 lines instead of 22+.  This makes use of emacs or
vi (or any other text editor for that matter) impossible.  I tried editting the
termcap entry and, while I could set it correctly in my environment, emacs
still insists on 40 columns, 22+lines, and vi just fails (it starts printing
in the middle of the screen and really messes up cursor motion).  What I need
is one of the following:
	1.) A good vidtex termcap that specifies 38 columns, 20 lines and
		which emacs will accept (I changed the co & li entries and
		it didn't work, so it's not that simple).
	2.) A working termcap for 1030Express or the default 1030 modem program
		(I have the 1030Express program, and since I own a 1030 I have
		   the program that's built into it)
	3.) A way to tell emacs to shrink itself to 38 columns, 20 lines.
Thanks in advance.

Scott Hauck
Hauck@postgres.berkeley.edu

markt@rwing.UUCP (Mark Tapper) (09/16/88)

In article <5652@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, hauck@limbo.uucp (Scott Hauck) writes:

> 	I'm trying to use HOMETERM, part of HOMEPACK, to communicate with
> several Unix-based machines and failing mserably.  The problem is that while
> HOMETERM emulates vidtex (a program in most termcap files), it displays 38
> columns instead of 40 and 20 lines instead of 22+.  This makes use of emacs or
> vi (or any other text editor for that matter) impossible.  I tried editting the
> termcap entry and, while I could set it correctly in my environment, emacs
> still insists on 40 columns, 22+lines, and vi just fails (it starts printing
> in the middle of the screen and really messes up cursor motion).  What I need

if you have a good monitor i would suggest that you try VT10SQ. alot of people
prefer KERMIT over it, but if you have a good monitor the display on VT10SQ
is the best, it gives you a really good vt100 emulator, it wont show inverse
video but thats all it wont do  for you. i've used it to play games on
a handful of different unix machines, it works on everything i've used it
on and works great with my xm-301. if you want a copy i might be able
to mail you a uuencoded copy of it. let me know.

--
Mark Tapper    uw-beaver!tikal!toybox!rwing!markt
markt@rwing.uucp