[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Mandelbrot

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (09/30/88)

I've been off the net for about 4 weeks due to changing jobs, and I
missed any reactions to the Mandelbrot program I posted.  Did anyone
try it?  If so, what was the reaction?  In the meantime, I added a bit
of stuff to it, to allow easy close-ups to be shown using a joystick
to select an area.  It can get some pretty dramatic results.

-Stan

rzimbins@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (robert zimbinski) (10/11/88)

I've been trying to write a decent program to display the M-set since the first
Scientific American article, but then I found a really nice one from Analog
(I think).  It allows you to zoom in on any section of the displayed set with
a joystick. Real nice.
I liked yours because it used graphics 10 though, the program I have only uses 4 colors.
Someone out there versed in ML should write a speedy version of this program!
I hate waiting a day or more just to get one graphics screen displayed (I do it
a lot though!).
Bla bla bla...
Anyway, why don't you post your new modified program. I, even if noone else is,
am interested in seeing it.

Bob Zimbinski

wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ray Wilmott) (10/12/88)

Robert Zimbinski writes:

>Why not post your updated version. I, if no one else would be
>interested in seeing it.

I would too. (I'd also be interested in a machine language version
if anybody is so inclined to write one :-)

			-Ray

Thufir@cup.portal.com (10/13/88)

Believe it or not, I considered doing an action conversion of the simple
Mandlebrot program that got posted to the net. I tried out Analog's
program, but gave up after the first 10 minutes and first few lines.
If the newer version of the program is posted and many people request
that I do do a conversion, I might very well do so, providing that
I have the time.

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/14/88)

In article <10002@cup.portal.com> Thufir@cup.portal.com writes:
!Believe it or not, I considered doing an action conversion of the simple
!Mandlebrot program that got posted to the net. I tried out Analog's
!program, but gave up after the first 10 minutes and first few lines.
!If the newer version of the program is posted and many people request
!that I do do a conversion, I might very well do so, providing that
!I have the time.

OK! OK ! I'll post the %^&* thing!  On Monday, though... I don't
have the listing with me today.

I just need to convert it from its currently hacked-up form which
includes some features I thought might be cute but weren't.  BTW, I'm
not sure what can be done to speed it up without going to a LOT of
trouble.  The only thing I can think of is to go from floating point
to fixed point, with a lot of scaling.  This would at least make the
addition go faster; ther inner loop does something like 4 multiplies
and 7 add/sub's.
-Stan