[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Graphics Environments for 8 bit

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) (10/18/88)

I remember being on the Dateline BBS in New York and hearing some stuff
there about a couple of Graphics Environments for the 8 bit systems.

Has there been anything the net has to offer on this type of program? The
two programs they were discussing were called GOE and Diamond. I had missed
some of the messages and was jumping in on it. Haven't been there for a while
but I was thinking that the net might have some insights to offer. The main
reason I am asking is seeing the stuff in the Zmag #124 about the Turbo-816
product from Dataque. This is another product that seems to have escaped
the notice of the netland. Does anyone know much about this item either?

Eagerly awaiting responses (Would prefer posts rather than mail so ALL
can hear about these)

* euloth@dalcsug.uucp  || Disclaimer: All opinions are my own unless other-   *
* /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ||             wise noted.			      *
****AKA: Atari Nut*************************************************************

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/18/88)

In article <158@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) writes:
>reason I am asking is seeing the stuff in the Zmag #124 about the Turbo-816
>product from Dataque. This is another product that seems to have escaped

I'll bet you a Coke that this chip is, or is similar to, the chip used
in the AppleIIGS - 6502 mode, plus a 16-bit mode.  Gee, I might get back
into programming in assembly language again!
-Stan

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (10/18/88)

   If anyone is interested, I have made a minor modification to GOS to allow
its use with SpartaDos instead of MyDOS. It was a simple matter of finding
the CIO calls and switching them. Binary Load and Create Dir now work
properly. It is still not terribly useful, but it is amusing.

					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration

p.s. I have yet to get any replies about Amodem 7.4. If you have it around or
at least can give me a hint on where to get it, please let me know.

					GD,TL,TR,AEE

gdtltr@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) (10/19/88)

In article <30962@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>In article <158@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) writes:
>>reason I am asking is seeing the stuff in the Zmag #124 about the Turbo-816
>>product from Dataque. This is another product that seems to have escaped
>
>I'll bet you a Coke that this chip is, or is similar to, the chip used
>in the AppleIIGS - 6502 mode, plus a 16-bit mode.  Gee, I might get back
>into programming in assembly language again!
>-Stan

   A week or so ago, I was looking through the computer books in the library
here at the U of D when I came across a book called "65816/65802 Assembly
Language Programming". I imagined that the 65816 is what will be what is
going to be used in the Turbo-816 so I checked it out. It does have a 6502
mode, but its native mode is about the same. In fact, as far I have determined,
the 6502 mode does a couple setup things and then restricts the 16 bit
opcodes from being used. The 65816 has a few ideas taken from the 65C02 (BRA,
PHX,PHY,etc.), the ability to access 16Meg addresses, 8/16 bit selectable
registers, and a movable stack (larger, too). I figure that there will not
be much of a speed advantage unless the native 16-bit codes are used.
Therefore, existing programs should run about the same speed except for
calls to the OS (floating point should go a lot faster). What I would love
to see is a SpartaDOS X-16 cartridge. Unix (or at least Minix) for the 8-bit
would be nice too.
					Gary Duzan
					Time  Lord
				    Third Regeneration
				 Atari Enthusiast Extreme

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (10/20/88)

  Yes, the DataQue 816 is the 65816 chip and that chip is used in the Apple
IIgs.  It is an excellent chip and the developers package includes MAC/65
macros to allow use of the new commands.

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (10/21/88)

>   Yes, the DataQue 816 is the 65816 chip and that chip is used in the Apple
> IIgs.  It is an excellent chip and the developers package includes MAC/65
> macros to allow use of the new commands.

Has anyone sent for and actually received any additional information on
the DataQue product?  If so, please post it to the net.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes