[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Using Kermit/65 with DOS 3.0

PARSONS@KSUVM.BITNET (Scott Parish) (09/30/88)

Although Dos 3.0 is perhaps the worst in the world, it was the Dos I was
 stuck with when I first purchased my 1050.  I have obtained a partial copy
 (DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS ONLY/no convert utility) of Dos 2.5.
Problem: I have programs saved on Dos 3.0 disks that I would like to switch
over to Dos 2.5 using Kermit/65 under Dos 3.0 to transfer programs to the
mainframe at school and then using Kermit/65 under Dos 2.5 to get them back.

  This sounds rather easy, but when using Kermit under Dos 3.0 after connecting
and pressing 'A' as in Attention to start dialing out, the send data light on
the modem goes on (constant, non-blinking) and the 'A' is repeated across the
screen.
  More:  I am operating a vinilla 800, 1050 drive, P:R: Connection, and Anchor
modem. I have scanned the limited Dos 3.0 manual, and it appears from the
limited memory map that Dos 2.5 and 3.0 occupy the same base memory locations.
All the other functions of Kermit are supported (ie rename, erase, dir) with no
problems. The problem occurs in any terminal emulation mode and under any
graphics display method. The only problem lies in dialing out (so far that is).

 Any reason why 3.0, that opperates in the same memory constraints as 2.5,
would cause such a bug in a perfectly healthy program? Anyone know how to solve
this problem outright (besides getting a complete version of Dos 2.5 and just
converting the Dos 3.0 files back to Dos 2.5)? Any suggestions on what may be
happening? Anything?

  Thanks,                Parsons@KSUVM
                         Parsons@KSUVM.KSU.EDU
   Scott Parish
Acknowledge-To:  <PARSONS@KSUVM>

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (10/01/88)

In article <8809301304.AA03617@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, PARSONS@KSUVM.BITNET (Scott Parish) writes:
> Although Dos 3.0 is perhaps the worst in the world,

Too true!  :-)

> Problem: I have programs saved on Dos 3.0 disks that I would like to switch
> over to Dos 2.5 using Kermit/65 under Dos 3.0 to transfer programs to the
> mainframe at school and then using Kermit/65 under Dos 2.5 to get them back.

If you can get Kermit to work under DOS 3.0 this is a perfectly acceptable
technique;  however, I thought you might be interested in the fact that I
once accomplished the DOS 3.0 - to - DOS 2.0 conversion using nothing more
elaborate than Atari BASIC!  Now if I can just remember HOW I did it...

As I recall, the program simply read the file-to-be-converted into a huge
string buffer (I used repeated GETs, but a direct CIO call in ML would be
cool too), under DOS 3.0; I was then able to soft-boot DOS 2.0 into memory
without losing the BASIC environment, and write the string buffer back out
using repeated PUTs.  I was limited to the size of the string buffer, which
ment a few COPY/APPEND's once I had the pieces on DOS 2.0, but it did work
and I was able to get rid of DOS 3.0 for good.

Of course, I now find myself racking my brains to figure out how the &**&^(!*&^&
I managed to boot 2.0 without turning off the machine or losing the BASIC
environment.  As I recall, it was very simple -- just a USR call to some
system vector, given manually at the READY prompt -- and it did NOT work the
"other way around" -- once in DOS 2.0 I could NOT similarly soft-boot into
DOS 3.0 again.  Had to turn the machine off and reboot with 3.0 every time
I needed to get a new piece of file-to-transfer.

Anyway, if anybody here can deduce how I booted into 2.0 from 3.0, in BASIC,
without losing anything, that might be the way to go as I'm sure with CIO
calls it would be much faster than Kermit transfer!  Plus you won't tie up
your telephone line!  :-)  I *can* offer you my support that it DOES WORK;
unfortunately for this instance I literally did GET RID OF my DOS 3.0 disk
and cannot repeat my experiment on your behalf.  I'll see if I can find it
(borrow from friends) but in the meantime, Netters, what can we come up with?

Enjoy...

  Chris Chiesa

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

c91a-ra@franny.Berkeley.EDU (reader.john.kawakami) (10/02/88)

Really re: converting from dos3 to dos2

I thought there was a utility on the dos 2.5 disk to convert from dos 3 to
dos 2.  But I'm probably mistaken.

In any event...  There was a program a couple years back in A.N.A.L.O.G that
converted files from dos 3 to dos 2.  I would guess this can be found on some
BBSs as something like DOS3TO2.PRG.

I think Antic also had a similar program.  Antic also published a program
that turned your drive into a virtual 410 program (cassette) recorder.
You would load from dos3.  save onto a "cassette" disk. then boot up
and save onto dos 2.

John Kawakami
TTL EXE MUX PRG A3I MTX TTP FOE TUS APP JTK MMU CRT VDI TOS DRI GEM CPM ACC OMV
JOH NKA WAK AMI c91 a-r a@f ran ny. Ber kel ey. Edu kaw aka mi@ zen .Be kel ey.

charles@c3sw.uucp (Charles Green) (10/30/88)

No, you're not mistaken.  The utility is COPY32.  It sticks in my mind because
OS32, which runs on Perkin-Elmer ############ Concurrent ########## Masscomp @
(whatever) minis *also* has a utility called COPY32.  But it doesn't do the
same thing. :-)

Charles Green	charles@c3pe.UUCP	{decuac,cucstud}!c3pe!charles