[comp.sys.atari.8bit] DataQue Turbo-816

PARSONS@KSUVM.BITNET (Scott Parish) (11/01/88)

 This is a summary of the latest magazine report on the DataQue 816.
 Most of it is sort of a re-hash of Zmag issue #124 (thanks Gary Duzan),
 so I'll try to keep it to a minimum.  BTW, this is reprinted without
 permission (but surely I can claim exemption under educational use).
 PS:  My editing is in between the [brackets].

 From Computer Shopper November 1988:

 ''The 'Turbo 816' by DataQue, for the Atari, will be available by mid November
 for a suggested retail price of $99.95 (probably discounted by most vendors).
 Included is a circuit board that replaces [the 6502 and OS chip]...
   A debugger for 16-bit assembly language programmers will also be included,
 and a complete Assembler may be offered either separately or with the pack-
 age.  On the new five-chip Turbo 816 board is a powerful 65C816 processor
 that retains the 8-bit instruction set but has a ful 16-bit set as well...
   The Turbo 816 [can address] a fully linear decoded address space of up to
 16 megabytes.
  ...existing upgraded memory machines will be suported by the Turbo 816,
 no matter which flavor or size...Users of the new CPU system will see an
 immemdiate speed increase in all their existing 8-bit software.  [To quote
 one of the designers] 'just enough to tell there is something different.'
 The OS chip has much faster I/O routines to all devices, making disk access,
 screen writes, joystick response, almost everything faster.  However, the
 actual 'pace' of most software will be typically unchanged...math is all
 being done with new routines that will dramatically surpass computation
 times of the standard system...
   But the real power of DataQue's device will be in the future applications
 utilizing the 16 bit mode.  Machine code will be 20 percent smaller and up
 to 20 times faster than that written in the 'native mode' 6502.  [Here's
 a goodie]  what is even better, disigner Ron Shue has arranged for memory
 registers and stacks to 'hold up' under a mode-shift, enabling a programmer
 to code half of his application in 8-bit mode, say to make use of existing
 CIO/SIO disk access, then shift to 16 bit mode for computation and processing
 -then back to 8 bit for more I/O-and on and on...
   As for the new operating system, as I mentioned it retains the vectors,
 flag, and entry points of the Atari OS, but is virtually 100 percent re-
 written for optimized function with the new CPU.  Included is a much
 improved floating point package, a real resident R: device handler...and
 room for lots of exciting things to come...[See Zmag issue #124 or back
 issue #92 of Info-Atari8]
   More about compatibility:  Ron Shue [co-designer] has bent over backwards
 to be certain that Spartados, Real-Time-Eight, MIO, and hard disk users
 will have no ugly surprises after adding the Turbo 816.  Only a tiny percent
 of programs ([ones with illegal calls]) have had problems with the new
 operating system.  Chuck Steinman [co-designer] says that later upgrades
 in the operating system chip will be offered to all users at virtually
 postage costs, and Ron is expecting to offer a piggyback system software
 control, for those who want to be able to shift between their old chip and
 the new one [Omniview/Omnimon users].
   [And last but not least, but the *most* interesting tid-bit]  DataQue is
 looking for qualified developers to be the first owners of Turbo 816, and
 are looking for ways to add incentive for rapid application developement...
   What does Atari Corp say about all this?  [They have talked with Atari
 through out developement fearing a blockade like the one involving the
 ST 8-bit emulator.  The article says that Atari has been 'generally
 supportive and helpful ths for, although DataQue is still waiting for
 written clearances on their operating system.'  So they won't get sued
 later.  They had hoped to convince Atari to put the 816 in new XE's, but
 Atari says 'Why would we want to redesign the 8-bit machine to be competitive
 with our own ST anyway?'  But Apple did it!  (Sen. Bentsen:  Atari you're
 no Apple computer.)]

  Developers and other interested users can contact:

      DataQue                            ONLINE at:  Chuck's BBS 'Master 800'
      3306 Bank Avenue West      or                       419-529-5197
      PO Box 134                             GEnie:  R.SHUE
      Ontario, OH 44862             GEnie, DELPHI,
                                        Compuserve:  DataQue
Acknowledge-To: Scott Parish <PARSONS@KSUVM>

c91a-ra@franny.Berkeley.EDU (john kawakami reader) (11/01/88)

In article <8811010302.AA03304@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> PARSONS@KSUVM.BITNET (Scott Parish) writes:
About the Turbo-816 upgrade:
> later.  They had hoped to convince Atari to put the 816 in new XE's, but
> Atari says 'Why would we want to redesign the 8-bit machine to be competitive
> with our own ST anyway?'  But Apple did it!  (Sen. Bentsen:  Atari you're
> no Apple computer.)]
>
>  Developers and other interested users can contact:
>      DataQue                            ONLINE at:  Chuck's BBS 'Master 800'
>      3306 Bank Avenue West      or                       419-529-5197
>      PO Box 134                             GEnie:  R.SHUE
>      Ontario, OH 44862             GEnie, DELPHI,
>                                        Compuserve:  DataQue
>Acknowledge-To: Scott Parish <PARSONS@KSUVM>

"COMPETITIVE"?!?!  give me a break!  Since when would a somewhat faster 130XE
be competitive with an ST?  I feel Atari is being foolish for not helping
this product along.  This could give another boost to XE sales in new foriegn
markets, where the C64 is king.  One feasable possiblity would be to socket
any parts that would have to be moved to install this upgrade, then give a
discount if you buy the Dataque and the  8-bit at the same time.

"Why would we want to improve the 2600 to be competitive with the
7800 anyway?"  --No One

John Kawakami  /  c91a-ra@franny.berkeley.edu  /  I'm sorryyyy, I'm sorryyyy,
              /                               /   I'm sorryyyy, I'm sorryyyy.
             /                               /         -S. Central Rain (REM)

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (11/03/88)

In article <7004@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c91a-ra@franny.Berkeley.EDU (john kawakami reader) writes:
> "COMPETITIVE"?!?!  give me a break!  Since when would a somewhat faster 130XE
> be competitive with an ST?  I feel Atari is being foolish for not helping
> this product along.  This could give another boost to XE sales in new foriegn
> markets, where the C64 is king.  One feasable possiblity would be to socket
> any parts that would have to be moved to install this upgrade, then give a
> discount if you buy the Dataque and the  8-bit at the same time.

I agree with John - a Turbo-816  upgraded  130XE  would  not  be  very
competitive  with  an  ST.   Not  without a lot of s/w that would take
advantage of the 16-bit mode.  And even then, the  68000  would  still
prevail.   (With the T-816, 8-bit progs. would see only enough speedup
to make a perceptible difference, unless they do a  lot  of  floating-
point  calculations.   Chuck,  if  you  are  around, correct me if I'm
wrong.)  I was in the 8-bit conference on Delphi last night, and  Matt
Ratcliff  pointed out that the T-816 has another problem:  it requires
h/w hacking.  It takes special skill and/or tools  to  remove  a  chip
from  a  130XE  board and install a socket - I know, I tried it myself
and burned the board.  (My 2nd XE went to a repair  shop,  where  they
had  no problem socketing the OS ROM.) It would be nice if Atari would
socket the 6502 and OS ROM, but I don't think they could be  convinced
to  do  this.   Sockets  cost  extra,  and  they  are  extremely cost-
conscious.  Chips sometimes come loose from sockets.

But if my XE had the 6502 in a socket, I would seriously consider  the
T-816.

Nick DiMasi                      njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM     ...att!ihlpm!njd
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')