[comp.sys.atari.8bit] SmartT:/Kermit65 combo

tpcharron@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Tim Charron) (11/03/88)

In article <8810302220.AA00864@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> edi@WISDOM.BITNET (Edi Almer) writes:
>I seem to be having a bit of trouble using smartt with k65 (same old issue).
.
.
>The problem seems to originate with the smartt; to load it I need something
>called a mem.sav. What happens is that after I load the k65 the smartt handler
>seems to disappear, the symptoms being that k65 jams up when it goes into term
>mode.

I had the same trouble with about the same system (I had an upgraded 400).
After trying every possible combination I could think of, I checked up on the
addresses of smartT: and k65.  I don't have the addresses here, but I found
that SmartT: loaded after Dos, and K65 at $2300.  SmartT: finished loading at
$22FE (now I remember).  _However_, somewhere in transporting the file, some
bytes were appended to the SMartT: handler.  On loading, DOS decided to
load these bytes too (despite the fact that the first 6 bytes of the file tell
DOS what to load where).  This would be fine if SmartT: were prepended to K65,
but Kermit didn't like that (the mem.sav) problem.  So, the solution I found
was to strip the bytes off of SmartT: which were appended, and then append
the new SmartT: to Kermitnr.com.  I think this should work...

10 OPEN #1,4,0,"D:SMARTT.COM"
20 OPEN #2,8,0,"D:SMARTT2.COM"
30 FOR I=1 TO 1680: GET #1,A : PUT #2,A : NEXT I
40 CLOSE #1: CLOSE #2

Then, Go to DOS, append SMARTT2.COM to a copy of KERMITNR.COM, binary load the
result, and hope for the best.  I don't have my system here to verify this, but
I'm 99% sure this will work.  If there's any trouble with this, I'll check my
system in a couple of weeks when I get home.  Good Luck.