[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Flight Sim II <=> XF551 incompatible forever

conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) (11/03/88)

In a previous posting, I mentioned that I had discovered the new XF551 was
incompatible with the Flight Simulator II program's copy protection, and
that I could no longer read FS II, which is exceptionally inconvienent
since I am now in Flight School, but do almost everything in double density

There was a follow up message to the effect that SubLOGIC was aware of the
problem and they had a fix disk.

As I have an exam tonight, I was again reminded that I would really like to
put some of this stuff to practice, and remembered the posting. So I
picked up my Flight Sim II box and called the number on the back,
(217) 359-8482:

"Hello, I'd like to speak to customer service please"

"Well, perhaps I can help. What program do you have?"

"I have Flight Sim II for the Atari 8-bit"

"Thank you, I'll switch you to customer service"
"Hello, how can I help you?"

"I have Flight Sim II for the Atari 8-bit, but it wont work on my XF551 drive
and I was told that you have an upgrade/fix for it"

"No, we do not support the Atari"

"Excuse me?"

"We do not support the Atari 8bit computers. If you have an 810 or 1050 it
will work fine."

"Ok, was there a fix for the XF551 before you dropped 8-bit support?"

"No sir."

"What about the cartridge, will it read scenery disks?"

"If you purchase the game system, you can get the cartridge, but it will not
read scenery disks."

"I see. Thank you very much."

Well f@%k me...

Terry Conklin, who, perhaps in the face of reality, still thinks his 8bit is
conklin@egr.msu.edu      one of his most useful machines, regardless of the
The Club (517) 372-3131   40 Meg Amiga 2000 or Unix workstation to either side.
Club II  (313) 334-8877 <still has 8-bit files. Get'em before I "drop support""

cptpower@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Wildridge) (11/03/88)

In article <12907@eecae.UUCP>, conklin@eecae.UUCP (Terry Conklin) writes:
> In a previous posting, I mentioned that I had discovered the new XF551 was
> incompatible with the Flight Simulator II program's copy protection, and
> that I could no longer read FS II...

Well, first a bit about the FSII disk and cartridge.  There IS a way to make
the disk work with the XF551.  But about the cartridge, SUBLogic is aware of
the problem and they are fixing the cartridge version.  I worked at Toys R Us
this summer and talked to them extensively about it.  The cartridge version
comes with the new Atari game system and due to all the complaints, they ARE
updating it.

Now about FSII and every other disk on the XF551 drive.  My room got hit by
lightning this summer and it fried all my old computer equipment.  After a
long hassle with the Insurance companey, I got my money and purchased my new
equipment - among which was the new "top o' the line" XF551 Drive.  As any
other XF551 owner knows - all the stuff on the 1050 is not compatible if you
notched and wrote on the back of your disk.  (The XF551 writes on the back
of the disk BACKWARDS - leave it to Atari to make unnecessary improvements.)
But, there is a way to fix it.  I subscribe to Antic Magazine (as EVERY Atari
user should) and among the mail order ads, an ad caught my eye called the
"XF551 ENHANCER."  What it is is a chip with a switch on it that you must
install on the inside of your XF551 drive and it makes everything compatible.
It onlly costs $30 and it's well  worth it (in fact, it's a MUST for every
XF551 owner).  The installation instructions are very good and I had no
problems.  So, look in a recent issue of Antic for the ad.  If anyone wants,
I will post the ad/address on this board (it's 2 A.M. right now and I don't
have it handy.)

\  Mike Wildridge  -  Nude Model Extraordinaire / DJ Wannabe   \
 \  Menk Hall  Box 102           ____                           \ POWER ON!
  \  Muncie, IN  47306-1082      \  /       "This is Power,      \  /
   \  (317) 285-6777              \/     Captain Jonathan Power!" \/
   /   UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cptpower    /