[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Was: Re: Need a cassette tape drive.

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (10/25/88)

In article <1270006@hpclkms.HP.COM> ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) writes:
>written properly.  The ONLY time I ever use my tape recorder is when I get
>old software on tape, and I want to move it to disk.  I then junk the

Do you really know how to do this?  I tried once (from bootable tapes,
that is) and was unsuccessful at reverse-engineering the formats.  I
would really like to move my tapes onto disk!  The tapes have games
and stuff that I'm not too interested in (pool, rubik's cube, etc) but
my kids would be.  Then I can throw the tapes into your pile.
-Stan

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (10/28/88)

In article <31302@bbn.COM>, slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) writes:
> In article <1270006@hpclkms.HP.COM> ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) writes:
> >written properly.  The ONLY time I ever use my tape recorder is when I get
> >old software on tape, and I want to move it to disk.  I then junk the
>
> Do you really know how to do this?  I tried once (from bootable tapes,
> that is) and was unsuccessful at reverse-engineering the formats.  I

  Hmmm... why "reverse-engineer" anything, when it is all thoroughly docu-
mented in the OS User's Manual?  I know, I know, you DON'T HAVE the OS User's
Manual...  I was just pointing out that it should be possible.  If the original
poster doesn't "come through" for you on this, I am sure I could write some-
thing; I hacked a transfer the other way, from disk to bootable tape, all by
my lonesome a couple years ago; even got it to work with multi-stage load
files, after a fashion... could be considerably improved, but by the time I
got the kludge version working, the need had passed...

> would really like to move my tapes onto disk!  The tapes have games
> and stuff that I'm not too interested in (pool, rubik's cube, etc) but
> my kids would be.

Me too; would particularly like to see the Rubik's Cube thing, as I wrote
my own version of THAT a few years ago, too (Binary is available if anyone
wants to see it; source was lost).

Chris Chiesa

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (10/29/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) /  8:58 pm  Oct 21, 1988 /

>A normal audio cassette recorder  *will*  work, but not very well.  The

I really doubt it.  Just as someone said in a previous note, the Atari uses
FSK modulation to record on the tape.  The computer modulates the signal when
it sends it out, but the tape recorder de-modulates the signal before it sends
back digital data to the computer.

However, if you want to build a converter for a normal cassette deck you can
get the circuit out of the January 1984 issue of Computers and Electronics.
(It was formerly called Popular Electronics.  The magazine has since folded,
so your best bet is to check with your local library.)

The article has a circuit based on the XR2211 FSK demodulator chip, ($2.95 from
Jameco Electronics), and also a circuit to remodulate the signal and copy the
tape on another tape deck.  It also includes a short description of how it all
works.

Good lock if you try building one, and let the Usenet community know how it
works.

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (11/03/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / charles@c3sw.uucp (Charles Green) /  5:56 pm  Nov  1, 1988 /
In article <4408@bsu-cs.UUCP> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) writes:

>> I HAVE heard, however, from a friend who got the new XM551 drive and does NOT
>>   like it...
>
>I have the Atari 1050 disk drive, and DO like it, although I wish it did "true"
>double density, with twice the data storage of single-density, rather than
>half again.  And imagine what 512-byte sector support could do for program
>interchange: "Sure, I can read that PC-DOS diskette!" (Happy Computers Inc,
>are you listening?).^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, they have listened.  If you format an IBM PC disk single sided, 9 sector
double density, you can convert files back and forth between the atari and the
IBM PC.  Unfortunately, you cannot format IBM disks on the Atari since the
1050 ignores the sector hole, and the IBM doesn't.

BTW, on MS-DOS 3.x, to format a disk single sided with 9 sector tracks, type:
   format /1 a:

It works quite nicely.  I use it to move lots of software from usenet to
my atari.  (Save the file to my workstation, walk over to the vectra, and FTP
the file to the vectra.  Take disk home, and convert file to Atari disk.  No
more fighting with Xmodem, Kermit and other stuff!)

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (11/03/88)

I just went back over my Tech notes and early issues of ANTIC magazine, and
it appears that Kenneth Sumrall is right... the 410 cassette recorder does
contain FSK demodulating circuitry to decode the audio tones into logic
level data streams...  (must be the mists of time fogging my memory, but
I thought I remembered being able to input data from a regular recorder...
after thinking about it though, I think I *did* have to use the 410 to
actually LOAD the cassettes back in...  but I was able to record the output
from the SIO port successfully (more or less) on a regular audio recorder,
which was my goal anyway, in trying to mass-duplicate cassettes...)

What's even more interesting was a note I found in ANTIC, Volume 1, No. 1,
which refers to a "Tape Operating System", which they abbreviate as "TOS"..

Now where have I heard those letters before...?     :)

BobR

car@pte.UUCP (Chris Rende) (11/04/88)

In article <1270008@hpclkms.HP.COM>, ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) writes:
> get the circuit out of the January 1984 issue of Computers and Electronics.
> The article has a circuit based on the XR2211 FSK demodulator chip, ($2.95 from
> Jameco Electronics), and also a circuit to remodulate the signal and copy the
> tape on another tape deck.  It also includes a short description of how it all
> works.
> Good lock if you try building one, and let the Usenet community know how it
> works.

The article also listed the name of a company which sells (sold) a complete
kit for the cassette interface. I bought it and got it to work with a normal
cassette recorder. I used it with my Atari 400 to save BASIC programs.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende         Multics,DTSS,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek
uunet!edsews!rphroy!pte!car  TRS-80 Model I: Buy Sell Trade