[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Broken Atari 800

at1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Angelo Trivelli) (11/22/88)

I have an Atari 800 that has been sitting in
a closet at home for about 5 years now.

The problem is this: When I turn the unit on it behaves
normal for about a minute and then crashes spectacularly
with brightly colored moving text and graphics on the
screen and random noise. I suspect a loose connection
somewhere--- has anyone had this problem? How would
I go about getting the thing fixed? does atari still repair 800's?

any info would be greatly appreciated!

---- Angelo  Trivelli
at1r@andrew.cmu.edu

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (11/23/88)

   I would suggest that you remove the cover of the 800 and pull out and
reseat all the boards (memory & OS).  Also try testing it with a game
cartridge.

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (11/24/88)

In article <8XW3wMy00V4=MEh19P@andrew.cmu.edu> at1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Angelo Trivelli) writes:
>I have an Atari 800 that has been sitting in
>a closet at home for about 5 years now.
>
> ... details deleted ...

With most electronic equipment, it is a good idea to theck the power supply
first.   Ataris are no exception.  Beyond that it is very hard to diagnose
such a problem from its symptoms.  You might try to re-seat all cards and
connectors, since the machine has been sitting around for such a long time.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/24/88)

Angelo Trivelli asks:  >does Atari still repair 800's?

Atari lists the 800 as part of its exchange program.  I don't have the list
of the fees involved in front of me right now, but I don't believe it was
very expensive.  Essentially you return your equipment to Atari with the
proper fee, and they'll send you a replacement unit.  Try calling Atari's
Customer Service department at: (408) 745-2367  and ask for details...

Before you do that though, you may want to check the connections on the main
board... it the 800 has been unused for so long a time, there may be problems
with corrosion on some of the contacts...

Turn the unit over and remove the screws holding the case closed, then remove
the top of the computer.  There are several screws securing the heavy metal
shielding to the printed circuit board.  Remove them, then remove the
shielding (carefully!).  Inside the shielding there are several smaller
boards mounted vertically in sockets.  Gently remove and replace each board
to break any corrosion on the contacts and to reseat them in their sockets.
Gently press any Integrated Circuits which are in sockets back down firmly
into their sockets.

Reassemble the shielding and case, and try the computer again.  It might be
necessary to clean the contact edges of the smaller boards with a solvent
to get the best contact.

If you're uncomfortable working inside the machine, you might be able to find
someone at a local Atari user group who'd be willing to help out...

BobR