[comp.sys.atari.8bit] hard drives

daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) (01/29/88)

In article <10401@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) writes:
> I have had my 8-bit for a while now, an ATARI 1200XL, and the one Rana smart
> drive I have just is not enough.  I am interested in Hard Drives for the
> Atari, working with them alot on IBM PCs at work, and see their advantages
> clearly.  Could someone tell me their availability and approxomate new/used
> cost?  Also where I could get docs on memory upgrades here in Florida.

By far the best route has to be the ICD MIO/SCSI disk combination.  Plus it
has the advantage of having a SCSI disk you can put on a future ST for just
the cost of the controller (ICD has one of those too!)

You can't go wrong with ICD.

Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!ihnp4!ihcae!daryl
AT&T					CIS:	72717,65
Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill		AT&T	312-979-3603

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (01/30/88)

In article <2562@ihlpe.ATT.COM> daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) writes:
:In article <10401@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) writes:
:: I have had my 8-bit for a while now, an ATARI 1200XL, and the one Rana smart
:: drive I have just is not enough.  I am interested in Hard Drives for the
:: ...
:
:By far the best route has to be the ICD MIO/SCSI disk combination.  Plus it
: ...

Careful, the 1200XL ROM is substantially different from the other XL and XE
systems.  Be sure to check if the MIO will work with a 1200XL.
Otherwise you might have to grab this excuse to upgrade to an 800XL or a
130XE.

rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) (02/01/88)

In article <2562@ihlpe.ATT.COM> daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) writes:
>In article <10401@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) writes:
>
>You can't go wrong with ICD.
>
>Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!ihnp4!ihcae!daryl

Do you want to take a bet on that last statement?  ICD is not a real
ethically run business.  My advice to you is " Be Careful".

Any opinions expressed are my own.  Now, for a limited time, they can be yours
too, for the incredible price of only $19.95.  Simply send $19.95 (in Alterian
dollars) to ...ihnp4!killer!jolnet!rich.                          Rich Andrews

dragon@olivej.olivetti.com (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (02/02/88)

in article <2562@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, daryl@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Daryl Monge) says:
> In article <10401@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, bdb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian David Bisson) writes:
>> I have had my 8-bit for a while now, an ATARI 1200XL, and the one Rana smart
>> drive I have just is not enough.  I am interested in Hard Drives for the
>> Atari, working with them alot on IBM PCs at work, and see their advantages
>> clearly.  Could someone tell me their availability and approxomate new/used
>> cost?  Also where I could get docs on memory upgrades here in Florida.

> By far the best route has to be the ICD MIO/SCSI disk combination.  Plus it
> has the advantage of having a SCSI disk you can put on a future ST for just
> the cost of the controller (ICD has one of those too!)

> You can't go wrong with ICD.

> Daryl Monge				UUCP:	...!ihnp4!ihcae!daryl
> AT&T					CIS:	72717,65
> Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill		AT&T	312-979-3603

Unfortunately, the MIO only works on 130XEs/800XLs and I *think* the 600XL.
The Supra board is in the same boat.  I can only suggest to Brian that he
may need to upgrade/downgrade (depending on how you look at it) his machine
before pursuing this further.

----
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
               {ucbvax,etc.}!oliveb!olivej!{dragon-oatc,lobster}!dean

Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.              |     |  _____|    |    |
Cupertino, CA 95014                    |_____| |_____|    |__  |_____

'Dancing, screaming, itching, squealing, fevered feeling hot Hot HOT!'

89_LOZIE@UNION.BITNET (11/11/88)

I am trying to find out how to hook up a hard disk drive to my system.
        The system configuration is:
                Atari 1200xl
                1050 unmodified drive
                850 interface
                1200 baud modem
                Okimate 10 printer
I would apprieciate the information if anyone can help.  please either post here
 or send email to 89_lozierp@union.  I was told by the ICD company that there is
 no way to do it, but I thought i would ask the people who also might have tried
 it or might have the knowhow to perform this function.

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (11/12/88)

> I am trying to find out how to hook up a hard disk drive to my system.
>         The system configuration is:
>                 Atari 1200xl
>                 1050 unmodified drive
>                 850 interface
>                 1200 baud modem
>                 Okimate 10 printer
> I would apprieciate the information if anyone can help.  please either post
> here or send email to 89_lozierp@union.  I was told by the ICD company that
> there is no way to do it, but I thought i would ask the people who also might
> have tried it or might have the knowhow to perform this function.

I'm surprised that someone at ICD would tell you that since they have about
the only setup I know of that will work. HOWEVER, you are a long way price
wise from your goal.  You need a hard disk of some kind (IBM type).
Then you have to buy ICD's MIO box ($239.95 for 256K model) and
their 8bit hard drive kit ($289.95 with MFM controller, $339.95 with RLL
controller).  As you can see, you are talking about $530 without a hard
drive.  Of course you have some side benefits.  The MIO is a printer buffer,
256K RAMdisk, and has a built-in RS232 port for your modem.  You could sell
your 850 interface and subtract that amount from the $530.  :-)

There was another company that advertized briefly that had an interface
that was supposed to work.  They had a funny name like Irata Verga or
something like that.  I don't know if they are still in business.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Bell Laboratories
					...att!ihlpe!kimes

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (11/12/88)

[blah!]

In message <3763@ihlpe.ATT.COM> Kim Kimes reiterates:

And Kim Kimes writes:

>I'm surprised that someone at ICD would tell you that since they have about
>the only setup I know of that will work. HOWEVER, you are a long way price
[specifics of using hard disk with 8-bit deleted]

	Unfortunately, a 1200XL has neither an XL-type Parallel Bus Interface,
nor an XE-type Enhanced Cartridge Interface.  Therefore, it is probably the
ONLY 8-bit Atari that CANNOT support a hard disk.  Even the venerable 400/800
series could use a rather awkward setup from Corvus and Dave Small.

>There was another company that advertized briefly that had an interface
>that was supposed to work.  They had a funny name like Irata Verga or
>something like that.  I don't know if they are still in business.

	I believe the company name is Irata Verlag, and the only disk inter-
face I know of from them allows an XL/XE owner...except for a 1200XL owner...
to use standard FLOPPY disk drives.  There is another company which manu-
factures a hard disk interface for the 8-bit line, but the name escapes me,
but its initials are BTL (e.g. BTL Hard Disk Interface).

							Mike
|        THE InterNet address> "KCGL1::DAVISM"@eng.ohio-state.edu        |
|              or _maybe_> davism@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu               |
|       These are my thoughts and do not necessarily reflect those of    |
|The Ohio State University, IRCC-Facilities Management, Koffolt Computer |
|Graphics Lab, The OSU Chemical Engineering Department, or anyone else...|
|************************************************************************|
|         "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy running across the field?"        |
|                        "Shut up Son, and reload."                      |

AIN1496E@merrimack.EDU ("David E. Sheafer") (11/17/88)

Lozier:

   Check with Supra corporation for a hard drive, they manufacture(d)
hard drives for the xl/xe line.

   I see that you have an Okimate 10, can you tell me what kind of software
you have found compatible with it.  I have one also and have found very little.

   I am particularly interested in Print Shop or a similar package.

 mail can be sent to me at AIN1496E@Merrimack.edu  or you leave a message here

thanks.

David

Eric_Stewart_Plent@cup.portal.com (11/25/88)

 To Kit:

 Yes, ICD sells one of the few hard disk interface systems for the 8 bit,
but they were correct when they said it would not work with the 1200XL. The
1200XL does not have the BUS on the rear, so the MIO unit would have no
way of connecting to the computer. Nor would the Supra system work for the
same reasons. It is too bad, really, since the 1200XL had THE best keyboard
Atari ever made (in my opinion...)

                   Eric
(Sorry, no fancy company name to append)