[comp.sys.atari.8bit] XF551

AXDFM@ALASKA.BITNET (gbloo Grebo) (11/15/88)

  I don't have an XF-551, but would like one.  What about software like
Printshop that comes on a two-sided disk?  Does the XF551 reject it, or
does it allow you to use it?  As I gather (I think), it works okay when
reading the back side, but it can't write to it?  This means that PS should
work, right?

Frank Murphy
OIT, Univ of Alaska Anchorage

cptpower@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Wildridge) (11/21/88)

In article <8811151952.AA02245@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, AXDFM@ALASKA.BITNET (gbloo Grebo) writes:
>   I don't have an XF-551, but would like one.  What about software like
> Printshop that comes on a two-sided disk?  Does the XF551 reject it, or
> does it allow you to use it?  As I gather (I think), it works okay when
> reading the back side, but it can't write to it?  This means that PS should
> work, right?

As everyone knows, I got one of the XF551's and I also got Print Shop.  Yes,
there ain't no prob with it at all.  It works just fine.  Happy Trails!!

Power

\  Mike Wildridge  -  Nude Model Extraordinaire / DJ Wannabe   \
 \  Menk Hall  Box 102           ____                           \ POWER ON!
  \  Muncie, IN  47306-1082      \  /       "This is Power,      \  /
   \  (317) 285-6777              \/     Captain Jonathan Power!" \/
   /   UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cptpower    /

slackey@bbn.com (Stan Lackey) (11/22/88)

In article <8811151952.AA02245@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> <AXDFM%ALASKA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>  I don't have an XF-551, but would like one.  What about software like
>Printshop that comes on a two-sided disk?  Does the XF551 reject it, or
>does it allow you to use it?  As I gather (I think), it works okay when

I think what we have determined is that the only function a 551 cannot do
is FORMAT the back of a standard disk, unless you do one of the following:

Get a special kind of disk whose sleeve has an extra hole so that the
timing hole can be "seen" when the disk is upside down;

Furnish those extra holes with a paper punch;

Buy and install a hardware upgrade from Scammers Unlimited (or whatever
that company calls themselves);

Keep an old drive around (what I do);

Use SpartaDos or some other OS that lets you use both sides of the disk
by using the drive in its native mode.

In any case, pretty much all existing SW will work in the way it was
intended on the 551.
-Stan

hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) (11/24/88)

In article <32554@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
-
-I think what we have determined is that the only function a 551 cannot do
-is FORMAT the back of a standard disk, unless you do one of the following:
-
- ...
-
-Buy and install a hardware upgrade from Scammers Unlimited (or whatever
-that company calls themselves);
-
- ...
-

Does anybody know what that hardware upgrade actually does?  Inquiring minds
want to know.
(For lack of that information, a description of the parts involved might
shed some light on it, too).

Eric_Stewart_Plent@cup.portal.com (11/25/88)

 To Frank Murphy:

 The XF-551 drive, in Double Sided mode, writes the information on the
back side of the disk in reverse. This means that if you flipped the disk
over, it could not read side 2 as side 1. It also means that a disk that ha
information on both sides would still have to be flipped over to work
properly. Sorry!

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (11/29/88)

>  To Frank Murphy:
>
>  The XF-551 drive, in Double Sided mode, writes the information on the
> back side of the disk in reverse. This means that if you flipped the disk
> over, it could not read side 2 as side 1. It also means that a disk that ha
> information on both sides would still have to be flipped over to work
> properly. Sorry!

This is somewhat misleading to anyone  who  has  no  understanding  of
double-sided  disk drives.  From the standpoint of "true" double-sided
operations, the XF551 does NOT write the 2nd side in reverse; flipping
a  floppy  writes  it in "reverse."  Flipping floppies  has  been  the
method  used  by  8-bit Atarians for using the 2nd side of  a  floppy,
but  it  is  only  a  standard  (sort of) in the Atari world.  (Unless
"Commodorians"  and/or  "Applites"  or  other single-sided drive users
do this too?  I don't know about other 8-bit-computer disk drives.)

If one has an XF551 drive, and wants the 2nd side of a  floppy  to  be
usable  in other drives, then the solution is to flip the floppy as if
the drive were a 1050, except that the floppy needs to be punched with
a  2nd  set  (1  on each side of the jacket) of timing holes (I recall
reading that  the  XF551  uses  those  timing  holes  when  formatting
floppies,  just  as the Percoms do.  No, I never got into punching new
holes in my floppies to use the 2nd side in my Percoms, but now that I
know it will work.... maybe I'll try it, carefully!)

Nick DiMasi       njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM    ...att!ihlpm!njd    DELPHI: TURBONICK
Uni'q Digital Technologies (Fox Valley Software subsidiary;
   ^          working as a contractor at AT&T Bell Labs in Naperville, IL)
(  | this is an accent mark, supposed to replace the dot over the 'i')