[comp.sys.atari.8bit] PC files to Atari

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) (11/04/88)

>>I have the Atari 1050 disk drive, and DO like it, although I wish it did "true"
>>double density, with twice the data storage of single-density, rather than
>>half again.  And imagine what 512-byte sector support could do for program
>>interchange: "Sure, I can read that PC-DOS diskette!" (Happy Computers Inc,
>>are you listening?).^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Yes, they have listened.  If you format an IBM PC disk single sided, 9 sector
>double density, you can convert files back and forth between the atari and the
>IBM PC.  Unfortunately, you cannot format IBM disks on the Atari since the
>1050 ignores the sector hole, and the IBM doesn't.
>BTW, on MS-DOS 3.x, to format a disk single sided with 9 sector tracks, type:
>   format /1 a:

Hmm...

I once tried an experiment: I had a double density DOS XL formatted disk (from
an Indus GT drive). One side had several programs on it, and the other side
was blank (but also formatted double density with DOS XL.)  I took the disk to a
PC and tried two copy programs.  They both gave me errors, but I got the errors
in different sectors for the two different copy programs.

I took the disks home to my Atari 800.  I found that both copies would give me
a correct directory (neither copy program gave me errors for the directory sectors
though), and also I found that I could successfully run some of the programs
off the copy.  The particular programs I could run depended on which copy program
I used.  In one case I was able to boot the copy and have it work (though some
files still could not be accessed.)

So, how do I convert files between the PC and Atari?  (And for that matter, can I
copy Atari disks on a PC?)  In other words, please, please, please supply the
details...
--
"I don't care if you _did_ do it in a movie once, Gilligan is not breathing
through that reed!"

--Kenneth Arromdee (ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP, arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu,
	g49i0188@jhuvm.BITNET) (not arrom@aplcen, which is my class account)

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (11/08/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) /  9:47 pm  Nov  3, 1988 /

>So, how do I convert files between the PC and Atari?  (And for that matter, can I
>copy Atari disks on a PC?)  In other words, please, please, please supply the
>details...

Details, details.  Just look up the ad for Happy Computers in any issue of
Antic magazine, (or look for ads from B&C computervisions or American Techna-
vision, they also sell the Happy upgrades)  What you want is the Happy
enhancement.  It cost me ~$100.00.  Copies any disk, has full track buffering,
hi speed SIO, True double density on a 1050, and also reads single sided
MS-DOS disks on the 1050.  A good investment for any Atari owner.

Installation is quite simple, just requires you pull two chips and put a
board in one of the vacated sockets.

Kenneth Sumrall
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) (11/10/88)

I tried  to send this directly to charles@decuac.dec.com but the mailers
bounced it...
I wasn't trying to use MSDOS to write on the Atari disks.  What I did was
to use a MSDOS copy program to copy an Atari disk onto a blank, unformatted
disk.  This was a program whose normal function is to copy a copy-protected
MSDOS disk.  Although sector size and the like certainly differ between
Atari and MSDOS disks, sector size, etc... on a copy-protected MSDOS disk
are also often different from a standard MSDOS disk; I was wondering if the
copy program would be able to copy the Atari disk, thinking it was actually
a copy-protected MSDOS disk and trying to copy the different size sectors
(and so forth) using the same routines it uses to copy the unusual layouts
of copy-protected MSDOS disks.

As I noted, I was partially successful.  The MSDOS copy program managed to copy
some, but not all, of the Atari disk onto the blank disk.  It copied enough that
some complete files on the (formerly blank) disk were readable and executable,
and I could do a directory of the disk and find that DOS XL thinks the disk
contains the same files that were on the original.
--

stekas@whuts.att.com (STEKAS) (11/10/88)

In article <225@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) writes:
> I wasn't trying to use MSDOS to write on the Atari disks.  What I did was
> to use a MSDOS copy program to copy an Atari disk onto a blank, unformatted
> disk. ...  I was partially successful.

The PC's disks turn at 300 RPM vs. 288 RPM for the Atari.  I have found it
impossible to write enhanced density disks on the PC without having the
last sector on a track overlap the first.  The just isn't enough "room" to
fit all those 128 byte sectors.

I have no trouble reading and writing 256byte formats, e.g. PERCOM.

Jim

rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (11/11/88)

From article <1270014@hpclkms.HP.COM>, by ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall):
< / hpclkms:comp.sys.atari.8bit / arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) /  9:47 pm  Nov  3, 1988 /
<>
<
< Details, details.  Just look up the ad for Happy Computers in any issue of
< Antic magazine, (or look for ads from B&C computervisions or American Techna-
< vision, they also sell the Happy upgrades)  What you want is the Happy
< enhancement.  It cost me ~$100.00.  Copies any disk, has full track buffering,
< hi speed SIO, True double density on a 1050, and also reads single sided
< MS-DOS disks on the 1050.  A good investment for any Atari owner.
<
< Installation is quite simple, just requires you pull two chips and put a
< board in one of the vacated sockets.
<
< Kenneth Sumrall
< ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
< ...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken

I have the program that was posted awhile back by Charles
Marslett (author of MyDOS) that does a fair job of reading/writing
Atari disks in a PC.

It claims to also be able to format Atari disks, but my experience
was that it left the drive in a strange mode, and I couldn't read a
PC formatted disk again until doing a reboot.

Note this will only read/write to Atari disks formatted in true
double density, although the source (asm and C sources included)
makes references to enhanced density.  With a little work you
might be able to use it with single density disks.

It doesn't do as much as the happy, but then it's free.  I'll
send a (uuencoded) copy to anyone that wants it (Email me).

Roger Cornelius      ...!uunet!pdn!jc3b21!sherpa!rac

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/11/88)

In article <493@jc3b21.UUCP>, rac@jc3b21.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
> I have the program that was posted awhile back by Charles
> Marslett (author of MyDOS) that does a fair job of reading/writing
> Atari disks in a PC.
>
> It claims to also be able to format Atari disks, but my experience
> was that it left the drive in a strange mode, and I couldn't read a
> PC formatted disk again until doing a reboot.

I have done some cleanup on the format code (may still cause problems
on some machines, like my Premium/286 AT clone) -- and I am looking at
doing the single density I/O version.  That will be much less portable,
so it may come in AT and XT version (or even brand name stuff like real
OSs, who says the IBM world is really standardized, . . . (:->).

> It doesn't do as much as the happy, but then it's free.  I'll
> send a (uuencoded) copy to anyone that wants it (Email me).

And if I am closer (Texas) I'll do the same.

> Roger Cornelius      ...!uunet!pdn!jc3b21!sherpa!rac

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) (11/12/88)

>The PC's disks turn at 300 RPM vs. 288 RPM for the Atari.  I have found it
>impossible to write enhanced density disks on the PC without having the
>last sector on a track overlap the first.  The just isn't enough "room" to
>fit all those 128 byte sectors.
>I have no trouble reading and writing 256byte formats, e.g. PERCOM.

It was a true double density disk I tried it with, and not an enhanced
density disk.  And it still gave partial success...
--

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) (11/15/88)

>Note this will only read/write to Atari disks formatted in true
>double density, although the source (asm and C sources included)
>makes references to enhanced density.  With a little work you
>might be able to use it with single density disks.
>It doesn't do as much as the happy, but then it's free.  I'll
>send a (uuencoded) copy to anyone that wants it (Email me).
>Roger Cornelius      ...!uunet!pdn!jc3b21!sherpa!rac

Please send me one.  (I tried mail and it bounced.)
--
"I don't care if you _did_ do it in a movie once, Gilligan is not breathing
through that reed!"

--Kenneth Arromdee (ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP, arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu,
	g49i0188@jhuvm.BITNET) (not arrom@aplcen, which is my class account)

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee ) (11/21/88)

I tried to mail this but it bounced....  (I am getting tired of having this
happen to me).

BTW (completely unrelated), does anyone know what POKEs turn your cassette
player on or off?  (I know they're in Mapping the Atari, but I don't have one
of those with me at college)...

From MAILER-DAEMON Sun Nov 20 15:41:54 1988
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 15:07:57 est
From: MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)